Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

CTL tread pattern differences

stumpjumper83 ยท 2012-07-03 17:19

So I'm new owner of a takeuchi tl140 in gehl paint as a ctl 70. While finishing some slopes that I had cut with my 550g I began to have problems keeping the ctl from wanting to slide downhill. The ground is a very dry brown clay. The dozer handles it fine. Slope is a 3 to 1, maybe a pinch steeper. The ctl now has a set of z bar pattern tracks on it, they are not the best. Im wondering when I replace them if I'd be better to go to a anternating "d" block, which would be the oem track pattern or is it the nature of a low ground pressure trackloader. Also in general do the different tread patterns perform better in certain situations?

Replies2
  1. #106Pete2012-07-03 21:31

    I have a 240 with the D block patern and it handles hills fine but it is rough on yards for small repair jobs. I can hold about a 2 to 1 but don't like to as it is hard the undercarage. I was wanting to try the straight bar patern like the asv or cat uses as they are easy on grass and work well in snow.

  2. #2dirtmonkey2012-07-03 22:12

    I have the cross bar style on mine and it digs better and rides smoother. Never had traction problems with it. I have the other " flat pad " style on our Ctl 80 and IMO its rougher.