Wondering if any older Cummins mechanics like Truck Shop have ever changed out one of these water pumps. The water pump has a concentric set up that can be rotated Quite a distance in degrees. They have this engine in an old 1976 Komatsu D85-12 bulldozer. Do not have the CPL tag so as to be accurate. The pump that came from KMP Aftermarket has a grease nipple that we believe goes into block around 4 O'Clock with the weep hole pointed straight down. Trying to find out as pump came with zero instructions. There is a copper washer that goes between the block and pump that has a flat side and an overlapped side to it. Trying to find out which side goes toward block. All ears, any experience appreciated. Thanks Simon C
If I remember right, the split in the copper gasket goes toward the block, I used to put a little grease on it to hold it in place. Make sure the slot is clean, maybe run an awl in the corner to clear any rust out. If the bolts are rusty looking or corroded, I would get new ones, (good ones) and chasing the threads wouldnt hurt. Breaking one of those bolts off is not fun, especially on a 55 Diamond T.......
Thanks for the information about the copper washer. That was what we thought. Would you know if weep hole was any special place orientated other than at 6'Oclock. Maybe Truck Shop has some info to share from his experience. Thanks Again Simon C
Once installed and cranked to adjust belts weep is normally towards bottom given the belt length is correct new belts or old.
That was what I was thinking. Thanks for your experience on these. I just posted a couple pictures of the engine I just finished under Dozers - D155 Track prices. Have not done as many Cummins engines as you so your opinion is appreciated. Simon C
A little slow getting to this, wife had doctors appt. this morning. Attached are the instructions out of the Cummins Maintenance manual date 1962! I don't see any spec's on how tight or direction if the copper gasket. I'll see if any other books have that. Looked in a newer manual and no mention of torque or direction of copper gasket. It does say about the tightening of the bolt "Tighten alternately starting on side opposite belts."
Hansen's manual page shows it real well-really simple. The old manuals have better show & tell than later books.
The water pump was installed today and worked well. Thanks Truck Shop and kshansen for your help. The last water pump was 8 years ago on this unit, so probably its last. Much appreciated. Simon C