Outfit I help out is putting it back to work but they know nothing about it, runs fine, very heavy. If you know the model I would appreciate it.
D379 six and a quarter bore.
D364 looks like to me. Early 50’s vintage if memory serves.
Could be that too. They look similar in a few aspects. **edit** You’re right. I looked up some pics. Intake setup is different on a 364.
I was going to say Steve but I only read the title
I thought it said model 371 on the radiator, but looks like it said 379. Pretty cool. Any idea where the oil filter is?
Here’ Tis.
That's gonna confuse the "Lube Techs" . . .
Lol it's a part of a drill rig, lube techs would be an upgrade I sent the info along, hopefully they can get a couple years out of this 32.2l unit
They just keep going and going. Counterbores and overreaching governmental overreach are the only thing that kills them. And the counterbores can be fixed, by reasonable men.
Is there a fuel filter under the primer pump too?
Yes, two or three cartridges.
I know a guy in the Permian Basin who keeps a dozen or so 379s running smoothly
Years ago i worked on one of those . I think i put one piston and liner in it. The place i was working at bought it to resell . It was on a wagon frame like set up. They were in a big hurry I was working on it getting it finished up while they were pulling it up to a loading dock. I started it and it ran ok but i never heard anything about it.
Pull bolts out until the cover falls off?
How much HP? I know some of the older Huge Cat engines used on oil rigs could go 50,000 hours before needing a rebuild. I think they ran almost steady. They did one where I had my 3204 rebuilt. The rebuild was over $100K back then. Imagine it would be more than double that today. Engine was on a huge skid.
There were three Popular Hp options. 600hp was common. At the dealership, we sold 10,000 hour top ends (250k gallons) and 20,000 hour overhauls. Crankshafts could go 100,000 hours or more. I only remember doing one crankshaft in the field.
The pusher said 500 HP, the minor amount of searching on the Internet basically said 450-600 was the range. I'm very curious how much fuel it will use, it's on a mudd pump and HP is HP so I bet it will use barley more fuel than the last engine