I'm getting ready to place an order for a new lowbed tractor. Here are what I have come up with for the specs that I want, please give feedback to see if there's anything you would change. This tractor is being designed primarily to move large yarders in the woods and then all of our swing machines on a 3 axle general 70 ton low bed trailer and a 2 axle booster. C500 Kenworth, double frame 216wb, 22k steer, 25k dual tire drop, 52-190 double lockers rears in 4.56 on 52k Neway suspension. 445 steers, 11r24.5 drives. X15 605/2050, 22189 trans with 2 speed auxiliary box. Wet tank built into the headache rack, full length 5th wheel slide with scale pads, dual stainless breathers, dual cab height pipes (I will delete/tune/connect second pipe) 150 gallons of fuel, batteries under passenger seat.
sounds good except battery placement
Nowhere else to put the batteries with that short of wheelbase. The DPF takes up under the passenger side step and the fuel is the driver's side step.
Better get AGM's if going that route.
I’m curious if you’ve considered a tri drive.
Batts under the seat last a long time. They will be agms from the factory. Dont get the nav system in the dash, it still is rather buggy. I would spec an underslung dpf system and mount another fuel tank/toolbox on the passenger side. Also mount the def tank right in front of the drives so if all that stuff falls off you have a normal truck after.
Butterfly or tilt hood?
Steel fendered 500, yes butterfly hood. I have the navigation in the dash of my 990 and HATE it! Tri drives don't give the bridge distance we need here and it makes the WB too long.
One item see if KW will change-the frame. Single rail 1/2" wall grade 100 steel. No bolts on crossmembers or suspension-huck bolted only. Shoes-no disc brakes and grease-able drive shafts. Manual clutch linkage, no hydraulic. And last make sure the power steering pump is big enough that's an area that's scrimped on.
I have been waiting to hear back from engineering if they will do a 13 inch tall 1/2 inch thick rail. I'm not a fan of the double rail either. I tried to originally get a 9/16 rail but they said no. I really like the disc brakes on the 990, are they not good?
As far as disc brakes from the stand point of serviceability and cost down the road they are expensive and labor intensive. The rotors are inboard so to change a wheel seal-2 hrs compared to 3/4 hr with drum. A set of Wabco pads average 165.55 per axle Rotors are 200.00 caliper 500.00 air can 175.00-----With labor to change out rotors, pads and wheel seal is 2,000.00 Disc brakes don't like mud. Our average mileage on disc through out the fleet is only 210,000, we use to average 300,000. That's on 65 trucks plus Wabco has already had a rotor design change. 4 drums 70.00 each 280.00, 8 4707 shoes 19.19 ea 153.52 4 hardware kits 5.44 ea 21.76. and 1 hr real labor time to change all four corners. All of our OTR tractors have 7/16 rail and that's the only good thing about the Freightliners the company owns. The frame and cross members are about the only thing that hasn't broke.
I didn’t see the big air compressor on there, if I remember correctly they have one that is essentially double the standard, something like 36 cfm. Get the option that unlocks the rears when you flip the trans to the high side so you don’t accidentally cook a set of third members. I don’t know if that high capacity 18 speed comes with a filter, I added that as an option on my trucks. I also liked the air assist clutch on a KW. I’d be happy to take a look at the specs if you want to email them. I’d also entertain an offer to drive it once it’s built
I already put in for driver JY. The air assist clutch in cold weather I don't know.
I’ll be the backup then lol. I never had any issues with the air assist. Worst case it doesn’t act right, you plug off the hose and go on like normal.
No I'll just ride on the right and nag like an old ******. The only reason I say air assist is a hauler here has it on a 2016 and last winter it froze up -and he was servicing the dryer.
The 990 has an air assist clutch and it is pretty damn nice as it is hydraulic with air assist. It has not given me any problems but of course that truck only has 12 thousand miles. Lol
The only time I use the lockers is to take off on a hill. As soon as I'm going I flip them out so when I make my first shift they come clean
fwiw I still don`t like the idea of batteries sitting on top of the furnace
We run air assist clutches up into -50 here. They work fine, just gotta service the air drier every fall. 2 speed fan? If its primarily hot weather get the 2 speed. If its mostly cold get the single on/off fan.
Jost JSK37 cast top plate fifth wheel with SK 75016-04 retractable handle, best damn fifth wheel setup I've ever used.
One other nice one about disc brakes especially if your running super singles, better not lose a chain in winter? if it falls to the inside it will wrap it's *** around the hub and caliper at the same time. And it's good bye brake caliper and brake can and ABS on that wheel end. Rip the caliper clean off, saw photos of two tankers that happened to last winter. You see with running a drum the chain has nothing to grab. Good ole disc brakes-trying to fix things that aren't broke.
Well, I think I I'm going to abandon the new truck idea. I found a T800 High hood back East that fits the bill perfectly. It will need the sleeper deleted and shortened up but other than that I think it is ideal for what I want to do. 2002 Kenworth T800 - heavy equipment - by dealer - sale https://houston.craigslist.org/hvd/d/hinckley-2002-kenworth-t800/7179033001.html
No DEF and Cat power. Just right.
And no F@#king disc brakes. That's a nice truck.
65k delivered. It should do ok. The one thing I don't really understand though is the planetaries. I mean I know Planet Arie have reduction at the Hub and the Hub is what takes all the torque instead of the third member but do they add reduction? And do they overheat? It's got 460s in the third members so I'm curious what the planetaries will add aside from strength
You just said it.
Ok, thank you. I was just over thinking it on my tired brain.
In the cranes that I've been into- part of the reduction takes place in the ring and pinion, and part of it takes place at the planetaries. Are the truck axles the same truck shop? So to speak does it have a say 2.55 in the ring and pinion and the rest of the reduction takes place out at the axles? That is a sharp looking truck hallback. One thing the ad doesn't list, is either miles or hours on the one you are looking at. It really bugs me when they spend all that time making a ad, and don't include that info. It saves a phone call if you want one under 750,000 miles and that one has 1.5 million on it. If you are wanting to compare prices a little, they just sold several heavy haul trucks at the ritchie bros auction in Kiefer Ok. None with the planetary rears, but they had several with 52,000lbs rears. From what I saw of the prices, the one your looking at isn't priced out of line, considering its specs. The no DEF etc. would be a plus in my book with the older truck you are looking at. Here's several of the trucks that sold a couple weeks ago, they had two of the 2012 trucks like this. And then several that were 2019's. The newer 2019's all brought in the $150,000 range. The 2012 brought $75,000 The 2004 brought $55,000 The 2009 brought $52,000 I think there is going to be a lot more equipment coming from the oilfield in the next months. They just aren't doing any drilling and moving of rigs. 2012 KENWORTH T800 Day Cab Truck Tractor (Tri/A) Viewing 1 of 5 Sold for USD on Sep 2, 2020 in Kiefer, OK, USA Lot # 22 Make: KENWORTH Model: T800 Day Cab Year: 2012 Serial No.: 1XKDP4TX5CJ33XXXX Meter reads (unverified) 491825 Mi Sold Price USD Details: Cummins ISX 485 15.0 L, 485 hp, eng brake, Eaton Fuller RTLO20918B 18 spd, dbl diff lock, 20000 lb air lift 3rd axle, dbl frame, Neway A/R susp, 20000 lb frt, D52-190P rears 52000 lb rears, 262 in. WB, alum wheels, axle ratio 4.56, A/S 5th Notes: EQUIPMENT FROM STONE TRUCKING COMPANY THIS UNIT RUNS BUT MAY HAVE DEFICIENCIES IN ITS POLLUTION CONTROL SYSTEMS WITH LIABILITIES OUTLINED IN TEXAS ADMINISTRATIVE CODE SECTIONS 114.20 AND 114.50. THIS MAY APPLY IF YOU OPERATE THE UNIT PRIOR TO THE ADEQUATE RESTORATION OF ALL POLLUTION CONTROL SYSTEMS OR DEVICES AS ORIGINALLY EQUIPPED. BUYER OF THIS UNIT MUST SIGN ACKNOWLEDGEMENT FORM OF THIS NOTICE PRIOR TO REMOVAL OF UNIT FROM YARD 2004 KENWORTH W900B Day Cab Truck Tractor (Tri/A) Viewing 1 of 5 Sold for USD on Sep 2, 2020 in Kiefer, OK, USA Lot # 25 Make: KENWORTH Model: W900B Day Cab Year: 2004 Serial No.: 1XKWDB0X84R06XXXX Meter reads (unverified) 295572 Mi Sold Price USD Details: Caterpillar C15 Reman, 475 hp, eng brake, Eaton Fuller RTLO18918B 18 spd, air lift 3rd axle, 8 bag A/R susp, 12350 lb frt, DS463P rears, 246 in. WB, alum outers, A/S 5th Notes: EQUIPMENT FROM STONE TRUCKING COMPANY-ODO DISCREPANCY-TITLE SHOWS 485,000 2009 KENWORTH T800 Sleeper Heavy Haul Truck Viewing 2 of 5 Sold for USD on Sep 2, 2020 in Kiefer, OK, USA Make: KENWORTH Model: T800 Sleeper Year: 2009 Serial No.: 1XKDP4TX09J25XXXX Meter reads (unverified) 720302 Mi Sold Price USD Details: Cummins ISX 600 15.0 L, 600 hp, eng brake, Eaton Fuller RTLO18918B 18 spd, 4 spd aux, A/R cab, 22500 lb air lift 3rd axle, Neway A/R susp, 20000 lb frt, 52000 lb rears, 274 in. WB, 74 in. mid roof sleeper, alum wheels, axle ratio 4.56, A/S 5th Notes: EQUIPMENT FROM STONE TRUCKING COMPANY
The 2009 and the 2012 both seem to be spect out fairly well. The one I am looking at has just over 500,000 miles with 40000 on a caterpillar Platinum rebuild. From what I have been able to research on those sisu planetaries, they are air actuated. When you engage them they are in reduction mode. When you disengage them it locks them up and they spin just like a conventional flanged axle and third member. It has a 4.60 rear ratio so it is fairly low geared and then when you throw in the auxiliary box and the planetaries, it would be perfect for pulling a yarder around the woods.
And those are ECM miles
That looks like it should be a dandy, good choice
Correct on the planetaries. At 500,000 it has a long way to go with good service intervals.
Okay since I am not very sharp on trucks as far as changing them around and such, how hard is it to do a sleeper delete and move fuel tanks under the cab. I have already figured that I would put the batteries in the cab under the passenger seat or in the headache rack at the bottom of it.
My goal is to get it down to 210-216 wheelbase
Sleeper fairly easy to remove, might need rear cab air ride mount, Day Cab makes a kit with interior and rear window if needed. Fuel tanks can be moved and fuel splitter valve relocated and fuel hoses shortened-easier to put batteries behind cab. I think I would set it it at 220 JMO.
Okay tell me why you would pick 220.
even 220 ain't gonna leave a lot of room for the drop axle
The new c500 that my buddy just had delivered last week is 217 wheelbase and if it wasn't for that stupid def system he could have gotten it down to 210.
What we do to shorten log trucks up from 260ish wheelbase to around 220 - 230 for a 15 foot dump box is to put the batteries in the drivers side step, take the toolbox off the passenger side under the door and put a 120 to 150 gallon fuel tank there. Delete driver side fuel tank. Put the hydraulic tank whereever you want, usually goes on driver side between battery box and drop axle. You could get it pretty short like that.
One fuel tank should be enough, the reason I say 220 is once cut and done there is always something else to hang and your out of room.
I was thinking tanks under doors, oil tank is built into cab guard, batteries on cab guard, full length Whit Log slider with Vulcan 320 scales, swap fixed drop for a steerable drop and come in at 212. 220 is a fine working wb but I think this has become more of a challenge to get shorter than my buddies trucks.
The easiest is move the rear suspension mounts and axle to the front mounts then drill only for the front suspension. If that makes sense or will put WB where you want it with out a ton of work. jmo
Actually an excellent way to do it and great idea! That gets your alignment damn near perfect without any guesswork.
You just have to read a tape dead on {twice}. It's a 52" axle spread. Every thing is is done off a 24" framing square center punched dead center. Use a mag drill or a 1/2 hand drill using 1/4 pilot holes and car reamers no large drills. You will just slide the suspension crossmembers forward. Leave as much air lines as possible connected. Tack weld two 2"x2" x 3/16" square tubes 54" long to the top of the rear drive housings that will keep the suspension and rear drives in position with brakes backed off to roll back then forward in place after drilling. Use nothing but Grade 8 flange bolts and flange nuts. Piece of cake, can do it with my eyes closed--lol
Note on the photo below the piece of nothing more than 2" channel welded at the top of rears to keep them up right. I stretched this one from 230" WB to 300".
Thank you! Absolutely agree with the half inch flange bolts and nuts. I have seen some guys use some sketchy **** on their suspension before and that is not me. What do you use to cut off the excess frame, obviously not a torch or plasma cutter. Large portaband?
I torch them, always have. Drink your coffee have a smoke get your mind right trim the torch and cut it like a razor. but because it"s dual rail it will blow out So I use a saw.
I don't use flange bolts - if the factory uses washers, I can too. I mount angles to the frame for the bunk and bridge beam with 5/8 grade 5 bolts and stover nuts. i've done it that way for 30 years
Damn near every Pete that I've had to replace the crossmember frame flanges on that were cracked or loose PacCar used bolts with washers. I always went back with 5/8 flange bolts and stover flange nuts-ended problem. the washer just adds another side to slip. JMO. Any Pete that had huck bolts on the flanges never had a problem.
You can rent a huck gun from these guys if you want to go that route, get everything drilled and bolted with whatever you have laying around then go through and nail it down. They are in Vancouver. http://www.deanlewisassociates.com/
I need more info on this Huck gun. Anytime I've had a Huck" it was never good! LOL
I can give you the number of the guy to talk to, there is a lot to know!
That grey truck with red fenders was one on my old trucks. Built three like that. With the two speed be aware there’s no shifting while in motion. Dead stop to go up or down. I bet that truck pulled a 19, super 13 or dual lane. I don’t know how many miles it has on it but I’d sure want to see records on it. Sisu parts are high and availability isn’t always the best. I’d damn sure change all the oils in the aux and the rears and look for sparkly stuff. Make sure the temp gauges work on the rears. At highway speed they’ll get pretty warm on you. Also, look at the driveline and see if it’s fused. Most trucks pulling big trailers had them. Easier to swap a few bolts than spit the driveline out! I glazed over most of the comments in regard to wheelbase and hardware. If I repeated some info I apologize. I know these heavy spec trucks well. If you want a monster I know of a massive C500 with 100k planetaries, Allison auto etc.
I figured you would know those guys (stone trucking was listed in the sale bill), since it was in your back yard, didn't know some were your old trucks. There were two of those KW on that auction just alike. Both brought $75,000.
I meant to watch that auction to see what they brought. Those were stout trucks. Still don’t miss it! Lol
I know you like your newer KW t990. There's two 880's next week in chicago. Kinda close to what you were looking at ordering- 52,000 rears but with auto trans. Which I don't know if that would be heavy enough spec for you. https://www.rbauction.com/2015-kenw...vId=12241070&id=ci&auction=chicago-il-2020153 https://www.rbauction.com/2015-kenw...vId=12241069&id=ci&auction=chicago-il-2020153 Viewing 1 of 7 Lot # 528L 2015 KENWORTH T880 Tri/A Heavy Haul Truck Meter Reads: 257,340 Mi Serial number or VIN: 1XKZP4TX4FJ454603 Location: Chicago, IL Selling: Chicago, IL, USA - Tue, Sep 22 Register to bid online How to bid on this item Selling prices of similar items Sell your equipment Share this: Operator Station Engine Drive Train Undercarriage/Suspension Functionality Tests In Yard true Year 2015 Manufacturer Kenworth Model T880 Axle Configuration Tri/A Asset Type Heavy Haul Truck Serial Number or VIN 1XKZP4TX4FJ454603 Condition Hrs/Mil/kms 257340 miles Comes With Cummins ISX15, 600 hp, eng brake, A/T, dbl diff lock, air lift 3rd axle, dbl frame, Neway susp, 20000 lb frt, 52000 lb rears, 252 in. WB, alum wheels, wet kit Catalog Notes LOCATED-IN-CHICAGO-IL SUBJECT TO LOCAL SALES TAX OF 6.25 Viewing 1 of 7 Lot # 529L 2015 KENWORTH T880 Tri/A Day Cab Heavy Haul Truck Meter Reads: 323,412 Mi Serial number or VIN: 1XKZP4TX6FJ454604 Location: Chicago, IL Selling: Chicago, IL, USA - Tue, Sep 22 Register to bid online How to bid on this item Selling prices of similar items Sell your equipment Share this: Operator Station Engine Drive Train Undercarriage/Suspension Functionality Tests In Yard true Year 2015 Manufacturer Kenworth Model T880 Axle Configuration Tri/A Day Cab yes Asset Type Heavy Haul Truck Serial Number or VIN 1XKZP4TX6FJ454604 Condition Hrs/Mil/kms 323412 miles Comes With Cummins ISX15, 600 hp, eng brake, A/T, dbl diff lock, air lift 3rd axle, dbl frame, Neway susp, 20000 lb frt, 52000 lb rears, 252 in. WB, alum wheels, wet kit
There's a real heavy haul also, but its in quebec, and I don't know what it would take to get it across the line. https://www.rbauction.com/2005-west...Id=12156179&id=ci&auction=montreal-qc-2020195 Viewing 1 of 7 2005 WESTERN STAR 6964 Off Road Heavy Haul Truck Serial number or VIN: 5KKJASAV85PN69277 Location: Auction yard Selling: Montreal, QC, CAN - Tue, Sep 29 Register to bid online How to bid on this item Selling prices of similar items Sell your equipment Share this: Operator Station Engine Drive Train Undercarriage/Suspension Accessories Functionality Tests In Yard true Year 2005 Manufacturer Western Star Model 6964 Asset Type Heavy Haul Truck Serial Number or VIN 5KKJASAV85PN69277 Comes With Caterpillar C16 11.9 L, 6 cyl, 600 hp, eng brake, Eaton Fuller 18 spd, WB susp, 21000 lb frt, 108000 lb rears, 264 in. WB, wet kit, (3)spare tires Catalog Notes insp 21-01 ITEM ADDITIONNEL A LA SORTIE / ADDITIONAL ITEM AT CHECKOUT
There's a bunch of heavy haul coming up for auction, with the oilfield being the way it is. I pull up ritchie bros and type "heavy haul" in its search function. There's a pair of 2013 KW in Fort Worth, with a comment that I hadn't seen before. They are wanting the buyer to sign a paper acknowledging that they know the emissions have been altered. How does ritchie bros decide that the truck has been altered? Does ritchie have a ECM reader and are hooking a computer to them? I don't see them doing that with every truck that goes across the line. Maybe the seller has told them, or has to sign a paper that the truck is "unaltered"? Surely ritchie doesn't have employees that can tell just by looking what's been "altered". From the onsite sale: "THIS UNIT RUNS BUT MAY HAVE DEFICIENCIES IN ITS POLLUTION CONTROL SYSTEMS WITH LIABILITIES OUTLINED IN TEXAS ADMINISTRATIVE CODE SECTIONS 114.20 AND 114.50. THIS MAY APPLY IF YOU OPERATE THE UNIT PRIOR TO THE ADEQUATE RESTORATION OF ALL POLLUTION CONTROL SYSTEMS OR DEVICES AS ORIGINALLY EQUIPPED. BUYER OF THIS UNIT MUST SIGN ACKNOWLEDGEMENT FORM OF THIS NOTICE PRIOR TO REMOVAL OF UNIT FROM YARD" https://www.rbauction.com/2013-kenw...=12225550&id=ci&auction=fort-worth-tx-2020272 Viewing 1 of 7 2013 KENWORTH T800 T/A Day Cab Heavy Haul Truck Meter Reads: 393,817 Mi Serial number or VIN: 1XKDD40X2DJ334691 Notes: THIS UNIT RUNS BUT MAY HAVE DEFICIENCIES IN ITS POLLUTION CONTROL SYSTEMS WITH LIABILITIES OUTLINED IN TEXAS ADMINISTRATIVE CODE SECTIONS 114.20 AND 114.50. THIS MAY APPLY IF YOU OPERATE THE UNIT PRIOR TO THE ADEQUATE RESTORATION OF ALL POLLUTION CONTROL SYSTEMS OR DEVICES AS ORIGINALLY EQUIPPED. BUYER OF THIS UNIT MUST SIGN ACKNOWLEDGEMENT FORM OF THIS NOTICE PRIOR TO REMOVAL OF UNIT FROM YARD
A little info for anybody looking at buying a truck that has altered emissions or is thinking of altering emissions. Any of the seven dealers that I deal with have posted at the service desk a notice for all customers to read. {IF WE FIND YOUR TRUCK OR OWNERS TRUCK HAS BEEN ALTERED IN ANY WAY, WORK WILL STOP ON SAID TRUCK AND BE TOWED FROM THE SHOP AT THE OWNERS EXPENSE. TRUCKS THAT HAVE BEEN ALTERED THAT WERE UNDER WARRANTY THAT WARRANTY WILL BE VOIDED.
are you talking about the cast ends that fit the down facing channel type crossmember ?
Correct.
I don't want any truck newer than 05 unless it is brand new. I want a pre emissions caterpillar for power. The only way I would have a Cummins is if it is under warranty. Are you able to just take the sisu planetary hubs off of those rear ends? I know they are an aftermarket bolt on item.
I believe you can, the rears in that truck are pretty stout.
I’m not aware of Sisu making an add on wheel end. I’ve only heard one one company making an add on, they’re in Canada and they can be kicked in and out, 3:1 reduction. Assuming you could remove the hubs you’d end up with a tall gear ratio as they are part of the final drive ratio. New hubs, drums, axles and wheels at least. There’s no downside to a planetary for your application other than maybe a slower road speed than you’d like. Should prevent most of the normal driveline issues moving a good portion of the stress out to the hub.
Find out what the rear drive ratio on those drives are before the planetary.
Sales hack said 4.60s
Ok, I thought the Sisu were the in/out reduction planetaries
With the 2 speed aux that would be a good combo. 4.56 is my go to gear. I stumbled onto that ratio building my first truck. I was doing a 4 speed auxiliary and when it came time to pick a rear end ratio I plugged in 70 mph, 1500 rpm with both boxes in OD. 4.56 is what I got. Without the OD of the back box it’s a little gear bound on the highway but it’s ideal for hauling big iron and that’s what the truck is for.
What's the gross with the yarder?
Slackline yarder is 158k with lines & fuel, the highlead machine is 120k. Add another 15k in jeep & booster then 23-24k for tractor.
Odd thing today Hallback I was showing the other mechanic in the shop {Gayle} the craigslist ad for that truck. In 2010 we had 6 heavy movers parking in our yard, they were moving parts and pieces for windmills plus equipment. They were all leased to the same outfit JY might know the company, we were also doing the service/repair for them. But Gayle saw that one and said it is either or identical to one of the six that were in our yard and that jogged my memory there was one alot like it here at the time. So lets just say 215,000.
Was it the guys moving the windmills from the port of Longview?
I believe it was, IIRC there were three different companies involved .
Still waiting on purchase order. Idk what is taking so long.
From the seller?
Yes. I told them I want the paperwork on the platinum rebuild and other work orders.
You would think they would be fired up with a buyer with $$ ready to go. Somebody has it all in their computer, how hard would it be to just send it to you? It amazes me how some places fritter away the chance to sell something. I was interested in a crane that was in Oklahoma city, 5-6 hour drive from me. They only had one picture of it, I called and emailed wanting some more info and pictures. Some lady is in charge of the sales dept: "I'll get them to you". Sent me a link to the listing with the 1 picture of the crane. No follow up call. No email. No more pictures or info. No $100,000 sale for you lady..... I bought a crane from the guy that sent me 50 pictures.
I agree, if they aren't willing to put any effort in I am not willing to put any money out!
Yeah but the name of the dealer you bought it from was {Helpless And Hungry's Used Crane Sales} and he was pretty hungry -hadn't sold a crane in two years.
https://www.ironplanet.com/jsp/s/it...um=referral&utm_campaign=syndication&src=mktg
Now THAT IS a Beast!!
But you would need a jeep with off-set to use it unless of coarse the have that lowboy also, plus a permit just to drive it empty.
https://www.machinio.com/cat/heavy-haul-truck?page=12#quickview/49175970
The lowboy trailer comes with it. $151,000 USD is current asking price for truck and trailer together, but they are looking for offers. Neck on the lowboy looks like my talbert. I think it would be only useful off road, you would need more axles for on road use.
At 14'6 wide-plus pilot cars.
Well after getting jacked around for 2 and 1/2 Weeks by the company that had that truck waiting for the service records and the paperwork on the caterpillar Platinum rebuild they just quit replying to me and then when I called there today they sold the truck on Monday to someone. That tells me they were lying about all the maintenance records and receipts they had for it. So long story short I'm back on the hunt for a c500 truck with 52k or planetary rears and preferably a two speed aux box with Cat Power.
It makes a person wonder why all these rigs with fresh rebuilds are for sale to begin with.
I know of a monster C500......way overkill for your needs but you’d never hurt it lol.
Makes the White pictured unit Pale in comparison, Have SEEN it up front and personal.
Needle in a hat stack when it comes to that type of specialized equipment. If it's any good no one wants to part with it because of replacement cost. And what's out there these days is pretty well used in many cases. Not that there isn't one some where that fits the requirement it's just finding it, then refitting.
From what I've seen and looked at on-line The one below is about it for what I've found. You would have to prune the wheel base add a two speed but that sleeper is the type that is easy to remove and install a Day Cab panel. Plus the engine is convertible to a single turbo. Lot of work usually more than someone wants. https://www.truckpaper.com/listings/trucks/for-sale/30392333/2007-kenworth-c500b
Sorry that a bad seller messed up the previous one for you. Good luck, I'll keep my eyes peeled.
Thanks guys, and his truck shop said it really makes you wonder why all these freshened up trucks are for sale. Nobody sells a successful business or a trouble-free truck. LOL Feel free to post the overkill c500 also!
Probably several options in Nisku since the oilfield is in the dumps right now. The RB site here will likely have some heavy trucks in their next sale too. Wouldn't be surprised if the blue truck Truck shop posted above was bought at an RB auction. Contrary to what some think about auctions there are a lot of oilfield outfits really hurting and have no choice but to liquidate some or all of their inventory. I think last year they had some brand new unused tri axle crane trucks. Here's a tri-drive and other options at a heavy truck shop in Nisku close to the RB site. There's another place across the street from RB that sells big trucks too. Can't think of the name right now. https://www.camex.com/trucks/winch-tractors/equipment/14717/2009-kenworth-c500/ https://www.camex.com/sale/ How about a C550 8x8. https://www.camex.com/trucks/bed-pole-rig-up-trucks/equipment/11873/2015-kenworth-c550/
It’s sitting in my friends shop. Came from Mammoet. Their stuff is sold off due to age. It’s it excellent condition. Cat, automatic, 4 speed aux, winch, big planetaries etc. It’s probably a 45 mph truck. I’ll get some pics
I sent you a message. Here’s a teaser lol
I still have not ordered the new one yet as I'm going back and forth with engineering to get down to 216 wheelbase with the auxiliary box and steerable drop. I did however get my one new long logger yesterday and the second one is at Lincoln right now getting geared up. I also bought a c500 tractor to build into my yarder mover. I don't have any real good photos of the c500 but it is a twin steer truck with SSH deer ears and an air shift 5 and at 4. I have never seen one of those Transmissions before. It has half inch thick main rails with a 3/8 in insert full length. The cab and fenders and everything are excellent condition. It was a drill rig and when they pulled the drill unit off they had to take the right angle box and the second stage driveshaft out of it as they went with a drill. I'm going to whack the frame down to around 210 wheelbase or possibly even shorter whatever the shortest is I can get and still maintain the spread. It has a 6 V 92 which is horribly small but with 683 rear gear I guess it doesn't need a lot of engine.
Ya hiring?
I am!! Blue 389 is getting setup as a 7 axle long logger like the brown truck, I have an 8 axle 389 mule train being built & a 389 super train also.
Sounds awesome to me. I’ve always wanted to be a part of a real logging operation. Get exposed to some new iron, a new twist on trucking I haven’t done yet. What’s the going rate up there....?
Air shift 5x4 is unforgiving on shifts, be gentle with it and will last a long time, get frisky and excited will cost a lot to fix.
Nice!
Yah-get out of Oklahoma go where the trees and mountains are. The smell of fir trees in the early morning is hard to beat.
May be TWO of us.
I pay top notch veteran log haulers 38% plus benefits.
It is interesting seeing how everywhere does stuff. Probably half the dump trucks on the road here use two steering axles but those look very close together. I have never seen drop axles like that around here. What does that allow you to weigh in at?
These trucks will net 33.5 ton stretched out for 40's.
Do you need another twin steer project? This one has planetaries. https://www.rbauction.com/pdp/1966-hayes-hdx4598-8x4-twin-steer-winch-truck-(inoperable)/15078877
STC--444=$$$. Was a odd ball with CPL 1215, listed as 440 Plus BCIII, all of the rest starting with CPL 806 were BCIV's. And only for the fact it has BCIII full flow cooling and after cooler.
And to further add confusion--with this being a repower guessing somewhere in early 90's. Cummins produced some strange engine configurations during that time. Using parts/pieces from a vast number of CPL's. Other CPL's in that number range like 1193 was also a BCIII with STC rated at 450 HP and full flow cooling. There was also CPL 1197 which was a MVT timed engine and CPL 1186 which was noted as NTE-465 only. Which goes back to what I've said in other posts, Cummins would throw crap at the wall to see if it sticks.
DD tried that same effect on the last of the Two Strokes, the Penske bought in. Cat was smart and bugged out before the Crap hit that fan to launch to the Wall. May with ever decreasing Rules try a comeback. How is it Scania does so well engine wise? JY and I were just speaking of this as they do not require all the Current Emission stuff and meet standards?
Nah--cat left that behind them, and doing well without on road. The Scania SCR/EGR system will be copied but still has it's EGR drawbacks without DPF. When Cummins built MVT/STC, it was strictly to cut excessive smoke on cold start ups. These engines/CPL's I listed above have nothing to do with emissions and everything to do with Cummins cleaning shelves of 855 parts. Most of those engines were sold as industrial/ offroad or export all the while trying to squeeze more horsepower from a old 14L, the N14 was already in play by that time.