Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Custom Wiring Harness Maker?

Birken Vogt · 2019-01-02 10:37

Is there any company who will build a one-off wiring harness to spec? I am imagining giving them a drawing like is found in some manuals where they give number of inches, tee-offs, loom corrugation, wire sizes, colors, type of connector on the ends, etc. Mainly I would like to get this done for certain applications where the connectors are somewhat obscure, I don't want to carry 12 colors of wire in every gauge from 10-18 and also just the time involved in assembling a harness oneself.

Replies11
  1. #1redneckracin2019-01-02 11:16

    You might try painless performance " https://www.painlessperformance.com " I have seen their products on TV quite a few times and it looks like a great setup and clean too. They make alot of stuff for older cars so it may work for you. Never used them myself though.

  2. #2Birken Vogt2019-01-02 11:43

    I have known of them for many years but it always seems like everything you can get semi-custom is still designed for some specific car. I should have made clear, I am looking for harnesses for generator engines and such, which may bear no resemblance to anything before or since manufactured.

  3. #3Nige2019-01-02 13:00

    We were dealing with a custom harness manufacturer who would build anything if they were given a drawing or an old harness to work to. From samples I saw their quality was at least equal to or better than OEM. I’m on break from work right now and don’t have their details. How much of a rush are you in..?

  4. #4Birken Vogt2019-01-02 13:14

    I don't have a project going at all. It is just something I wish I had had, a time or two. And it popped into my head so I figured I better post it before it popped back out again.

  5. #5Nige2019-01-02 13:42

    Put it in your diary to remind me around the end of the month. I’ll be back at work by then.

  6. #6Birken Vogt2019-01-02 14:42

    Done

  7. #7crane operator2019-01-02 17:28

    I was looking at swapping c-7 to c-10 or 12 cat and had these two outfits come up: http://www.kustomharness.com/electronic-engine-harness http://mobile.mawkindustries.com/ They primarily deal in over the road truck engines, but I imagine if you had a diagram, they would make whatever you want.

  8. #8DMiller2019-01-13 15:19

    Why not build your own, lay it out on a sheet of plywood in clamps and assemble as noted in your drawing? Last harness I made for a buddy for a Street Show Rod was done that way but WAY simple and no special connectors.

  9. #9Birken Vogt2019-01-13 19:18

    Mainly because I don't want to invest in various tooling, shells and pins for all the different brands of connectors, and I also like it when a manufacturer can make it with various correct colors and gauges of wire that I never have the ability to stock all of.

  10. #10wmshooke2019-01-13 21:03

    Had to have a new turbo boost sensor connector for a Kubota SVL90. Dealer said only complete engine harness was available for a couple grand.. After searching for several hours, found one from these guys - not cheap, $100 with shipping for ONE connector but fit exact and came with splices, shrink wrap and plenty wire for the repair. https://connectorexperts.com/

  11. #11John C.2019-01-15 10:29

    When I worked for the Komatsu dealer who was building logging shovels they had to make harness extensions for raising the cabs. They used a company named Connect-Air. They had all the Komatsu stuff and the price was reasonable. There are branches in California. Here is their web site. http://www.connect-air.com