Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Recommend me a Good Non Pressurized Coolant Reservoir

Birken Vogt ยท 2019-01-04 19:52

I like to add coolant level switches to radiators and to avoid nuisance trips, the top tank needs to be full so I will also add a non pressurized reservoir. The trouble is, most aftermarket reservoirs of this type, plus a lot of OEM ones, are complete plastic garbage and will crack and dump their contents from vibration and/or sun. Do you guys have any favorites? Tall and skinny and mounted to the inside of a flat panel in the job I am looking at right now.

Replies12
  1. #1Junkyard2019-01-04 19:56

    What comes to mind for me are some of the catch cans and other aluminum tanks you see on various race cars.

  2. #2DIYDAVE2019-01-04 20:58

    If you don't mind steel, try a hyd reservoir... https://www.surpluscenter.com/Hydraulics/Hydraulic-Reservoirs/Hydraulic-Reservoirs/

  3. #3Birken Vogt2019-01-04 21:37

    I'm thinking smaller stuff, maybe 3" by 3", plastic so it can be viewed at a glance.

  4. #4td25c2019-01-04 23:14

    My favorite is a radiator with tank capacity where it does not need an overflow tank . Hate to spend the money on it but a Bud Light bottle would probably work fine .

  5. #5Birken Vogt2019-01-05 01:09

    My dad always used to use a clorox jug before cars started coming with them also. Probably not for paying customers though.

  6. #6thepumpguysc2019-01-05 07:07

    Any junk yards near you?? just brows the older cars/trucks.. the ovrflo btl in my 95' Ford Bronco is standing the test of time..

  7. #7kshansen2019-01-05 08:26

    Dang, I would not do that to any engine! On a more serious note popping the hoods on a few car at a junk yard might find one that will work then just make a note of the make and model for the next time. Or check out some of the many that show up with a Google search: https://www.google.com/search?q=coo...wKHev_B7AQ9QEwG3oECAIQBg#imgrc=V8XK5N3H0buQXM : Lastly you could always fab your own from a section of aluminum tubing.

  8. #8td25c2019-01-05 21:50

    Quart bottle for mid range engine overflow tanks .

  9. #9pushbroom2019-01-05 23:37

    I had a customer drive a truck with a blown headgasket from California back to Canada with a 40 of crown as a overflow bottle. X2 on aluminum race expansion tanks with a sightglass if you dont want plastic.

  10. #1092U 34062019-01-06 08:52

    I think a few of our older XQ30 generators use a thick plastic tank. Tall and skinny. Of course generators don't get the same amount of physical abuse as a working piece of equipment either. The newer Skyjack boom lifts with the Deutz engine use a nice aluminum header tank complete with a level switch bung. They do have a thread on pressure cap though but that could probably be changed or adapted.

  11. #11crane operator2019-01-06 10:48

    Plastic and 3" x 5" I'm not sure plastic and longevity go hand in hand though. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/rnb-603-001?rrec=true Like junkyard recommended- racing, stainless, but no sight glass. 3"x10" https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-300103?rrec=true https://www.summitracing.com/parts/oer-60761?rrec=true Really nice with the sight glass, but spendy and big: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/...MIl8HU6rzZ3wIVR7XACh2wGAzvEAQYAiABEgJuPvD_BwE

  12. #12Ben Witter2019-01-06 11:21

    AS said I would try a salvage yard or such first. Then maybe an OEM or one of the race parts suppliers. Don't forget you will need to find radiator caps that are sealed and will work with a recovery style expansion tank other wise it's just a fancy catch can.