Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Customized Ford L9000

Fastdirt ยท 2012-05-21 22:14

I got this truck and trailer last summer. A 94 L9000 and a 2000 Eager Beaver 20XPT. The trailer was neglected with rotted and missing boards and the brakes were all gone. The truck had been sitting for a couple years but had a new motor put in in 06. The paint was in bad shape on both. I've replaced all the brakes, seals, and tires on the trailer. On the truck I've done the axel seals, brakes, rear tires, new starter, rebuilt and turned up fuel pump, had all the oil and air leaks fixed along with a list of other repairs. I did paint the bed and hood with original paint right after getting it, but just recently started all over stripping the bed and trailer down to bare metal and priming/painting them. I just got a Cat excavator and wanted to get the truck looking good and mainly just not red. It has been a lot of work but I'm getting there.

Replies70
  1. #1pickles2012-05-21 23:24

    nice work!

  2. #2Fastdirt2012-05-22 00:02

    Does anybody know how to post images and not links from photobucket?

  3. #3Tiny2012-05-22 01:16
  4. #4Tiny2012-05-22 01:34

    Might be outta order , hope this is ok

  5. #5Tiny2012-05-22 01:39

    .,.

  6. #6pafarmer2012-05-22 06:17

    Nice work. I like that L9000. Can I ask what motor is in it ?

  7. #7Fastdirt2012-05-22 11:19

    Ok I think I figured out how to attach pics and it wasn't easy. Thanks for posting Tiny. This is the truck where it sat for a long time and the first day.

  8. #8Fastdirt2012-05-22 11:23

    This is the truck as of a week ago.

  9. #9Fastdirt2012-05-22 11:28
  10. #10Fastdirt2012-05-22 11:34
  11. #11Fastdirt2012-05-22 11:43

    Painting the hood and the cab. I was really nervous at first painting the hood, much more than painting the bed.

  12. #12Fastdirt2012-05-22 18:48
  13. #13Fastdirt2012-05-22 18:52
  14. #14CM19952012-05-22 18:58

    Nice job Fastdirt!:drinkup L9000's are classics and tough as nails. Hope it gives you many years of service. What are the trucks spec's?

  15. #15Fastdirt2012-05-22 18:59
  16. #16Fastdirt2012-05-22 19:11

    This is with the Aeroshield deflector, the KC visor and the KC grille. I've got the new chrome trim ring but not sure if I'll paint it black or not. Waiting on the bumper to be built by Valley Chrome and tinted windows.

  17. #17Deere500a2012-05-22 21:00

    Wow, looks great

  18. #18Maola2012-05-22 21:48

    nice setup

  19. #19JDOFMEMI2012-05-23 01:11

    Looks good. I hope you get to get it dirty soon.

  20. #20DEERE310SG2012-05-23 09:51

    Wow it look's awesome ! Kyle

  21. #21DirtHauler2012-05-23 10:02

    Quite a transformation, I like it. Some headlight rings that match the grill would really set it off well!

  22. #22390eric2012-05-23 18:50

    quality work man. The front ofthat truck looks mean,I like it.

  23. #23Ryanrb252012-05-23 21:48

    Great looking setup mate.

  24. #24Fastdirt2012-06-01 23:45

    Thanks. Sorry I took so long to reply I've had my hands full working on this along with working. The motor is a Cummins L10 260. The fuel pump is turned up to well over 300hp and 2k rpm's. Great running motor,will never understand why it's not bigger.

  25. #25Fastdirt2012-06-02 00:00

    I cannot figure out to reply to more than one quote at a time. CM I believe it's a 94 LT9000, 54K lb., L10, 8LL, dual lockers, hindrickson susp., I believe it's gonna be a good one, most people say they're tough too. Jerry it gets dirty overnight somehow. Maybe you can send me one of those ISX 550's......my mechanic would slap me. Hope to finish it this weekend and I'll take some shots with the bumper on. Thanks for the comps.

  26. #26CM19952012-06-02 09:23

    Look to the right of the "Reply with Quote" button and there is a little button with a "+" next to a tiny quote icon. (A highlighted check will be next to the ones you click) Click that on each post you want to multi-quote and the last one click the "Reply with Quote" button, all the posts will be quoted. Classic tandem dump spec. The dual lockers are a life saver on site work jobs.

  27. #27Fastdirt2012-06-11 23:21

    Ok, got the L9000 done. I'm really happy with it and it feels like an entirely different truck now. It's really hard to change the look of an L9000 because there is almost zero aftermarket parts available. I feel really proud to have it and it gets some looks too. It's not my dream truck but it cost $100,000 less than one and theres alot to be said for that.

  28. #28CM19952012-06-12 08:14

    Nice job! That turned out sharp.:thumbsup Yes there is.

  29. #29DEERE310SG2012-06-12 11:33

    Wow that look's awesome !! Kyle

  30. #30Fastdirt2012-06-12 19:01

    Oh man, Thanks a lot Deere and CM. It became my nightmare with how much work it was and repainting the door twice. When people would stop by, I'd just say welcome to my nightmare with black paint on my arms and fingernails (for two weeks). So I guess thats it's nickname.

  31. #31CM19952012-06-12 19:18

    First of all I have a soft spot for L9000's. Classic trucks and back when I got into the business they were the Kings of the jobsites. With all the new DPF and EGR emissions crap being added to new iron, not to mention the electronics, I am changing my philosophy on trucks and equipment and looking more and more at rebuild. If you have an older paid for piece of iron or truck, it's just makes more sense to rebuild them. They will be more reliable and less costly, as long as we can still get parts and legally operate them.:cool2

  32. #32Fastdirt2012-06-12 22:49

    I feel the exact same about the L9000, plus anything Ford is golden to me. When I first started in 94 I was the saw man and bobcat man. My boss bought a 94 L9000 and put me in it with just a learners CDL. Well I got nailed on the interstate. I was overweight, and no CDL. I went to jail and the L9 went to the impound. We both got out later that day. It was my first big truck to drive. It had a near 30 year run from 70 to 97. Yeah and you can play with the fuel with a screwdriver not a software program.

  33. #33pafarmer2012-06-13 06:01

    I too have a soft spot for the L9000. I own a 1994 model. Great rig. It has earned its keep multiple times in the short time i have owned it. Its not as nice as yours but you have inspired me with your mods. Can i get a website address from where you got your grill from. I need a new grill for mine. thanks and great work.

  34. #34pbean2012-06-13 21:04

    How about the chrome visor i like it looks clean been looking for one for a while???

  35. #35pbean2012-06-13 21:08

    Check out my web site i have sum pics of my L8000 s/a realy curious about that visor like the grill too http://www.beansexcavating.com/

  36. #36Fastdirt2012-06-13 22:46

    Thanks CM, looks like your tip works. pafarmer, thanks. The grille and the visor are made by the same guy. Look below. I bought them from KC truck parts in Spokane Washington 509-536-8499 or buy them on ebay. He said the L9000 and L8000's are coming back and he's been selling these things. Ask for the chrome shop. The guy who does the visor and grille is supposedly going to make a wind/bug deflector. The fiberglass Lund visor that all the L9000's have or used to have are discontinued ( I still have one though). The Wind deflector with the stainless steel ends that contours the hood on so many L9's and L8's is also extinct. That is one great looking L model on your website Bean. Very clean and dressed up. I really wished I had labeled this thread like "customized Ford L9000" or something, because if your google custom or customized Ford L9000 images you get hundreds of stock trucks. No help. http://http://www.ebay.com/itm/290693810947?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649 http://http://www.ebay.com/itm/290640137546?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649 Also I highly recommend this add-on. Probably the best improvement yet. I love it. http://http://www.ebay.com/itm/300507051492?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

  37. #37CM19952012-06-14 06:46

    Now that's something I can do. Decide what you want the name of the thread to be and I'll make it happen.

  38. #38Fastdirt2012-06-14 23:05

    I think "Customized Ford L9000". A lot of times when I google stuff it pulls up HEF threads. Pretty cool, thanks.

  39. #39CM19952012-06-15 07:03

    Done. The title is more fitting and the L9000 is way more interesting than that ol' tag trailer.

  40. #40johndeere1232013-04-20 15:28

    Did you sandblast the box before painting it? In the picture it doesn't seem to look like it was blasted, but looks well prepared.

  41. #41Willis Bushogin2013-04-21 21:53

    From someone that does things like this to his trucks, I would say its the BEST job I have ever seen. I know how much work and money you have it this job In the last 15 years, I probrably have owned 10-12 L9000, most of them had the Cat 3306 engines and they were great trucks, tough as nails Again job well done

  42. #42Fastdirt2013-04-25 22:09

    Thanks. I wish I had a sandblaster, but no I did it all with sanders, sandpaper, scrapers, blades, paint stripper, and anything else that would burn your arm muscles up(so many corners and right angles). It was overwhelming at times, but when you pour the paint into the paint gun it makes it all worth it. My heart was racing when I went to paint the hood but the paint laid down real nice. I am about 100 hrs. into a repaint on a Takeuchi 150 I just bought and is way too much work to do it right and work all day at the same time. But it will be done anyday and well worth it... I will have someone do the next one. I am picking up a 97 LTL 9000 CAT 5EK day cab next week and driving it straight to a do it all guy who customizes big rigs from cutting/streching frames and sleeper cut offs to the paint and polish and all the pipes, etc. After that I got to drive it to Charlotte for a guy who has the 600hp+ ECM upgrades. I'll definitely post that project here.

  43. #43Silveroddo2013-04-26 17:59

    Looks good, I can totaly appreciate the ammount of work you've got into that, its easy to get burned out on body work after a project like that. Its easy to give somthing an enamal overhaul but the outcome is a night and day difference when you put the work and attention to detail into it like that.

  44. #44denver m farms2013-04-26 23:53

    Times 10!

  45. #45glenlunberg2013-06-18 22:59

    Wow! Cool work! The truck is more looking good now!

  46. #46redneckchevy92013-09-05 17:57

    I wonder if it is because they are simple yet functional trucks. Not sure what engine options were, but throw a CAT in one & it does the trick.

  47. #47Labparamour2013-09-06 12:11

    Love how your equipment turned out. I like the looks of the L's. I went through a similar sandblast/paint job w an '82 L7000 7 yd dump w a CAT 3208. I like the look of the cab visor. Only place I've found for a visor was in the mid-west and shipping was more than the visor!

  48. #48nateberry12013-09-06 12:55

    Man, real nice job! Truck looks great now!

  49. #49Fastdirt2013-09-09 21:40

    Thanks for all the compliments on the ole L9000. It's just a few months away from it's 20th birthday. It's pretty much in the same condition since I painted it about 13 months ago. Still no leaks and it trucks along just like the rest of them only a bit slower. I get blown away by big rigs everyday on the highway. It's just not made to run the highway, but it sure is nice on surface streets and backing the track hoe up in some tight steep spots. It's a low geared truck that will idle off a dead stop in any predicament. I took some pictures of it last Friday on a job where I crammed about two loads of trash into one load of trash. I've always been an employee in this industry, but owning your own stuff and knowing what you and the equipment is capable of can really work in your benefit. If it was someone else's truck I would have had to make two loads out of it. I just used the thumb to smash/break it down carefully with nobody looking over my shoulder. Once again the two way tailgate proved to be priceless at the dump site.

  50. #50Steve Frazier2013-09-09 22:10

    Pretty fancy neighborhood you're in there!

  51. #51Deereman2013-09-10 00:02

    I think I spy a truck that used to set at Stafford? Truck turned out nice!!

  52. #52norite2013-09-10 01:26

    Sharp looking truck

  53. #53Fastdirt2013-09-11 21:25

    Look up KC Truck Parts. They are in Washington if I remember right. Ask for the chrome shop(His name is Angel). That's where the visor came from. Yes it is. Gotta show I.D. etc. Known for Celebs and Pro athletes living there. I actually laid a lot of pipe and did a lot of grading in there when I worked for Strack pipeline. But, all those people look down their noses at us and the work trucks. Haha, you mean Nasser Heavy Equipment. Yep, she sat there for years in the economy down time. All the Macks got deported to S. Africa, but they can't get parts for the Ford's so I was very lucky to get it. Thanks again to those who complimented the L9er.

  54. #54Labparamour2013-09-14 21:32

    Fastdirt Thanks for the info- called KC and they got 'em! Looks like I may be dressin' up my rig! Have a good weekend all!

  55. #55Construct'O2013-10-24 08:26

    Here's my new to me L9000 (1997),has a Cat 3406 Cmodel with the mechanical pump.No electronic here on this C.It's not as fancy as yours,but guess it could be with some money.It is nice and clean tho. It is set up with the Eaton LL8 speed Hendrick spring rearends low geared.14K front and 46K rear ends. Will try to post some pictures!

  56. #56Steve Frazier2013-10-24 14:10

    It sure looks clean!! The only flaw I see is the one bent grill bar. Mechanics have a habit of using them to pull the hood open instead of the handle that's molded in.

  57. #57redneckchevy92013-12-11 16:58

    Love that front bumper! That CAT has almost no miles on it - should run forever with a proper taking care of

  58. #58Construct'O2013-12-12 11:20

    It will have an easy life here.Will be used on a detach lowboy.Lucky to put a 1000 miles a year on it.It is really great shape actual miles no leaks and no rust,and won't be used when roads has salt on them.Just small business here.Farm work mostly,rural Iowa,frostup here.Thanks

  59. #59Fastdirt2013-12-12 21:48

    That should make a great truck. I just about bought a Ford tractor except it was a 97 LTL 9000 with the 550 3406E. It was earlier this year and the truck was for sale at Appell equip. About a 10 hour drive. I had my bags packed and the guy called me and told me it sold the day before. Appell equip. has a ton of used tractors and trailers but they will NOT take a deposit and hold anything for you. I was quite deflated and ended up buying something else. I had planned on putting on a flat top like this LTL 9000 that was the 2011 Grand Champion. Still looking for one. Rare to see them with 500 hp motors, but the LTL's usually have big motors compared to L9000's

  60. #60Truck 5052013-12-12 22:44

    HeavyEquipmentForums Fastdirt it may be a blessing in disguise that they sold it before you got there.

  61. #61rob3rto2014-09-25 19:57

    This is my l9000 1985 big cam cummins im still working on it

  62. #62rob3rto2014-09-25 20:01
  63. #63rob3rto2014-09-25 20:08

    This is before

  64. #64Garrie Denny2014-10-16 02:34

    Give yourself a pat on the back, that truck and trailer are awesome,you deserve to be very proud, well done. Hope the rig appreciates all the Love and money, time you have committed to her and does not give you any drama.

  65. #65Btree2015-01-29 20:19

    Fastdirt, I'm new here and I am in the market for a L9000. How do you like the cummins that is in yours. I have always been a cummins fan but just wanted to ask you how you liked it after working with it.

  66. #66Fastdirt2015-01-30 21:06

    Hey Btree, It's been an excellent truck. It has the L10 Cummins. The smallest motor I've ever heard of in a Class A. I get passed by D8's and every other truck on the road. It has never let me down. It's one of the smoothest motors I've felt. It has the 8LL and does great from a dead stop as long as it's not too steep. It would be a great truck in Florida where there are no hills. All in all it's been great but it is gutless. rob3rto, that visor looks pretty good. Hope you had good luck mounting it. I have to use a GoPro suction cup to brace the center. Thank you Garrie Denny. Very kind words! A recent pic of her.

  67. #67Btree2015-01-30 21:13

    Thanks for the rely Fastdirt, we are in the market for a excavator the size of yours for cleaning up fence rows and small plots of land on the farm, and I have always like the looks of the 9000 fords, so I thought it would be a good truck to move the excavator around from farm to farm. In South Georgia we don';t have many hills to worry about. By the way, I enjoy reading your threads. Have your finished that 379 yet, awesome truck as well.

  68. #68Landclearer2015-02-01 11:46

    Looks like a picture out of a magazine

  69. #69Fastdirt2015-02-01 13:10

    Thanks, Btree. I would hunt for an LTL9000. I love that truck. Most have bigger motors than L9000's and you can even find some with a big block Cat engine. There is a nice LTL on CL right now. Needs engine work on the big cam Cummins. Also the 379 is not finished. I have several things left to do but it won't be long. Lol, LC. That pic was one of about five from that angle. I'm a picture/video junky. Every phone, computer, SD card, etc. I've ever owned gets maxed out because of my addiction to pictures and vids. Don't do much vids anymore because of the time consumption. I was a magazine kid.. not a book kid. Pictures over paragraphs any day.

  70. #70Landclearer2015-02-01 13:15

    I here you! I love lookin at pics as well. I must have thousands of pictures of jobs we worked on over the years. As a kid I would look at construction magazines for hours. I must say the pics you take are pretty cool. I like the one at the gas station and never in a million years would I have thought of taking that pic. I guess I have no imagination