Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D5M LGP oil and other questions

Supercomp517 ยท 2016-09-24 19:26

Sorry to keep bothering you guys I used the search tool but "oil" is too short Friday I bought a '99 D5M and I'm changing the filters and topping off the fluids. 1) What type of transmission/drivetrain oil do you use? All I can find is SAE 30W meeting TO-4 spec. I assume this is not just regular SAE30 engine oil or is it? 2) ritchiespecs lists 6.9 gallons of oil. I drained the pan, changed/primed the filter. Put about 6.9g back in. Ran it for 30-40min and the dip stick shows about 1" 1 1/2" overfilled?? Did I miss a drain? It showed low before I changed it, It was sitting level and drained for 2-3 hrs while I went to town and got filters 3) Fuel filters The 2 filters on the drivers side - one up and one down. What is the correct procedure to change these loosing the least amount of prime? Thanks for putting up with what I know are questions that have been asked before. I just can't find another source with an active membership board

Replies9
  1. #1Jonas3022016-09-24 19:57

    use cat drive oil or a generic if you want that says TO-4 on the pail I wouldn't trust specs for how much oil to put in usually take guess at what came out and put a little less back in also if you oil filled the filter that may be where the extra came from

  2. #2Supercomp5172016-09-24 20:43

    Think I should drain the overfill down? Anyone know the fill spec with filter for a 99 D5M LGP?

  3. #3Nige2016-09-25 03:12

    Sounds like you need an Operation and Maintenance manual, aka O&M. Google servicemanualpro and put in your Serial Number. It'll be about $35 for a CD or $45 for a paper version. Good advice when draining and refilling is work to the dipstick or sight glass. The fill capacities in the specifications are only aporoximate, very approximate in a lot of cases, especially where Ritchie are concerned.

  4. #4Supercomp5172016-09-25 11:55

    Thanks. I was going to call Cat Monday and get a book that is why I'm asking the dumb questions here.... just in a hurry to get info Not just Ritchie but every internet spec listed that I saw shows 6.9 gallons as capacity. Oh well, I guess I'll crawl under there again

  5. #5hvguy2016-09-25 22:37

    heres the manual on a CD, hope this helps. Having something like that; thats searchable and indexed is always handy. http://www.ebay.com/itm/SEBU6901-CA...060280?hash=item4881d7f978:g:TjkAAOxyk99R1dvX

  6. #6Dickjr.2016-09-25 23:32

    Agree with all above go to ebay and get a manual. Ritchie is very vague on things. In the trans use a good brand oil with the to4 package. Demand it. Major brands like Shell or chevron offer this. Or Cat.

  7. #7Nige2016-09-26 03:26

    Thats the same people I suggested in post #4 above, but if you go to their Web site instead of Ebay you can get the same thing at an even lower price. Sorry Dj, but Ebay is no longer the place to go for manuals (unless you're very lucky) because sellers realised a while ago what they actually sell for and as soon as that happened the bargains dried up almost overnight. I've seen used manuals sell on Ebay recently for more than you can buy a brand new one. That's crazy.....

  8. #8hvguy2016-09-26 04:29

    Guess I should have read all the posts thoroughly before posting huh. Ive noticed a lot more that people are just drop shipping things from amazon while listing them on ebay for 4-$5 more. It pays to shop around.

  9. #9hvguy2016-09-26 18:06

    double post.