Has anyone on here ever built one? It has been brought to my attention that I need one. Got quoted $50k for from one company. Ouch. I’ve been using a local shop for the big cylinders and had a customer tell me that he was charged $1000 for one we took in. We had Split the cylinder and brought them just the rod with piston and a new packing kit. I’ve got a welder that I work with who can build whatever I dream up. I think 20’ long will do it but I’m more interested in the hydraulic end of it. ill link a video of what I’ve got in mind.
Beams.....go scrounging for some 20' long big beams....Beeg ones. 18" WF x 150lb minimum. 24" WF Heavy would be better. Gather up every scrap of 1" and 2" thick plate you can find as well.
I think using a hyd. motor for tightening/loosing would take a lot of engineering. Using a hydraulic cylinder on a lever would be easier. Could figure out the force by length of lever and force of cylinder converting PSI to pounds of force. You could use a torque gun too. Rad Torque has them up to 13000 ft./lbs. I believe. I know they're pricey but they're accurate.
They appear on auction sites occasionally. Usually, nobody recognizes them and they sell for scrap value.
The one you have the video of looks like a tuxco. Which are super nice, but I bet that's a expensive gear reduction box. Here's pictures of one from the internet, and it looks like what I would probably build. I probably wouldn't do the overhead crane, because I have forklifts, but the overhead would make it easier for working by yourself. There's also a guy selling files for building a nut buster, the files can be used to plasma out the pieces for welding up.
https://www.facebook.com/reel/1727414881175233 There's plans out there on facebook for this nutbuster, I think I would add the chain drive hydraulic motor spinner shown in the second picture.
Hydraulic Cylinder Repair Corner | getting the bench all sandblasted, primed and ready for paint | Facebook getting the bench all sandblasted, primed and ready for paint www.facebook.com Here's a link to pictures of the bench, and the nut buster that has plans available for it.
The shop I use has Tuxco cylinder benches. They used to have diploma's on the wall of all the people that took a course from Tuxco. They have 4 cylinder benches. I think they have the largest cylinder bench in N. America with 125,000 FT./LBS. of torque but looking online Tuxco only goes up to 60,000 FT./LBS. Maybe it's custom made but 125,000 FT./LBS. is insane! About Us - Stirling Hydraulic hycor.ca
If you like the tuxco gear reduction box, they look just like a grove crane swing box, and I'm sure I could find one from a wrecked crane
These guys make a more budget setup. Looks decent for the occasional use. Mobile Machine Source NA | Industrial Tools & Machines Your trusted supplier of premium industrial tools and machines across North America www.mm-source.com 9.1K views · 131 reactions | You asked and we delivered!! Mr. Reason was kind enough to give us a demo of the Titan Torque Table that they manufacture exclusively for us here at Mobile Machine Source. Comment any questions below and the next video mi You asked and we delivered!! Mr. Reason was kind enough to give us a demo of the Titan Torque Table that they manufacture exclusively for us here at Mobile Machine Source. Comment any questions below... www.facebook.com