Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Old School Question

partsandservice ยท 2013-09-29 01:21

What is the proper way to install a rope seal. In a continental specifically.

Replies3
  1. #1td25c2013-09-29 09:53

    I take it we are talking about a rear main seal in an engine. I still have some equipment that uses the rope seal. Rebuilt a ford 361 last winter and it had the rope seal . The rebuild was "in-frame" so I remove the 3 rear rear mains so the crank will drop a little.Then install a threaded puller in the old rope seal & puller out. My new seal came as a two piece neoprene . When intalling a rope seal on an in frame repair I use a "chinese finger" puller tool . Some company offers a kit with these tools but I cant seem to find them.Local parts store could probably order one for you. Also found this www.hemmings.com/mus/stories/2009/03/01/hmn_tips2.html and www.ehow.com/how_4697251_fix-rear-main-seal.html

  2. #2kshansen2013-09-29 17:20

    Like td25c says often they come as the molded rubber for replacement. I think I have those tools somewhere myself.

  3. #3partsandservice2013-10-04 03:40

    I will get the seal kit when I pick-up engine at the machine shop. Hopefully it will have the neoprene seal, I think I could confidently deal with a modern seal .