This is the first line machine I ever ran. I used to run it up in the Queen Charlotte Islands but it got sold to Hayes on Vancouver Island and it now sits in there bone yard. It's a different colour than from when I used to run it but I know it's the one as my initials I scratched into it are still visable. Driving this thing down the road was allways an eye opener. Oh the memories.
:beatsme what the hell is it, a telegraph pole launcher
:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao good one Rob! :drinkup very good question. Some kind of Dragline?
We call that a snorkle and they use it to throw the log grapples out for fishing logs that are off the road. Makes a good fishing pole. Now days they just run the shovel out in the brush. Thanks for the photo.
LMFAO A telegraph pole launcher, that's funny sh*t. It's called a grapple loader. It's for cherry picking logs off the side of the road and loading log trucks. It used to have a 100' super snorkle on it which was awesome for casting the grapple out but not so great for driving down the road or loading trucks. You would have to be very careful not to hook a tree with it as you were driving down the road. It had three joysticks with two rocker switches on each joystick, a knee throttle, three foot peddles not to mention all of your Wichita spool controls, brakes and clutches that would have to be set up to your likeing. It also had a little foamy steering wheel on a pole that you would slip into a hole in the floor of the cab so you could steer it. It had a large main engine to run the loader part of the machine and a 8v71 to make it move.
I built a 3 section 120 ft. snorkel for a 7220 American log loader.the operator could yard a150 swath on either side of the road.it worked very well,but it seemed weekly we had to change swinger frictions.the whole thing resembled an old sailing ships mast with all the spreaders and guy lines