Hello, As the title says, I was wondering if you know about or heard if it had been done before, changing the D348 engine on the D10 to a 3508? We have 3 of the D10s and wanted to convert their engines as the D348 is becoming really difficult to maintain.
I have ran one that was converted to a 3508. It was a beast. There was a mining company here in Western Ky that had two of them that were converted. The owner of the company had the same issue with the D348’s. He had some 11N’s that were parts machines, he pulled the engines and refreshed them, and put them in the 10’s. Short answer- yes It can be done. I will reach out to some of the mechanics that I know that were involved and see what they remember about the conversion
Cat has documentation on this conversation. It's been posted on here before. I'll see if I can find it
I thought so too, but there is nothing that I can find. I also thought there was a similar thing to re-engine an early 777 haul truck with a 3508 and I couldn’t find that either.
Thank you for reaching out to them. We are underway in the process. I am not a technical person by any means. But I understand that the D348 engine has its pumps/gearbox on the engine itself, while the 3508 has like a shaft that connects the engine with these pumps/gearbox. We made that shaft. I am aware that seating the engine on to the frame properly so the connection between the torque converter and the rest of the body need to be aligned correctly otherwise the shaft won't make it due to the forces. We finished the conversation. They say they have done the seating correctly and picked the right material for the shaft, as we have done the conversation. I have a video of the dozer moving around. But the dozer itself hasnt been tested at the field yet. It should be at work within the next 3 weeks. My worry is the undercarriage. Sure we gave the machine a new heart with readily available spare parts, but it won't go far without it's legs. The center/workshop guy that's working on the conversation told me we could replace the undercarriage with a D11 undercarriage. Which might be costly, but with current prices in EGP, it would still be cheaper than buying a dozer. For reference we buy whatever comes from the US/Europe that's considered as scrap or money pits and use those here. So its normal for traders to chop up a dozer for parts. I was thinking of just collecting the parts along the way until the current undercarriage is no longer useful and then convert it. Since the D10, has a different track link, the sprockets will be different. So I am told I would need to change the final drive shell, track frame (therefore rollers, idlers etc....), sprockets, and get the entire D11 undercarriage. The logic here is that the pivot shaft and frame as like the D11. I have yet to find spare parts for the D10 undercarriage. So if anyone has any insight or can help with the discussion, it would be greatly appreciated. Or can direct me to a D10 undercarriage source, that at least still makes the parts.
Nige would this help find the service bulletin?
there is a thread here I think. I found this post but there was another that took me off site to a whole lot more. HeavyEquipmentForums
Not really. The OP is looking to repower his 84W-prefix D10s with 3508 MUI engines. That's physically the easiest way because the former D348 model engine also had a mechanically-controlled fuel injection system. All Cat's documentation is based around repowering older non-emissions rated tractors with engines that are at least Tier 3 compliant, which means going to an electronic engine. The factory repower is much more complex and implies the use of all sorts of resources which I imagine the OP, being located in Egypt, does not have access to.