Someone sent me these pictures with no story behind it. Apparently the operator lived but does anyone know the details?
If that hand lived he is very lucky.
I have seen those pics before , that is crazy , but I can tell you the operator did live , walked away from it even , I wish I knew more details
That's some crazy pics! Somebody's got to know where this happened. Looks like the kind of material you find in SE Kentucky or W Virginia.
holy crap
The ole saying "it's raining cats and dogs" came to mind except now it's raining boulders. I'll bet he dropped a brick or 2 also, in his pants.
I have never seen a pic like that, that is the only way you will see a dozer folded up like a tent!!!!
ouch, thats a tough gig.
hope he bought a lottery ticket because he was steeped to walk away from that. Stock
I thought these machines had FOPS! What a joke of a cab. :tong (as in this is sarcastic)
imagine, you got a big blade full pushin right along and WHAM thats pretty bad glad he survived
Is it real? Is anyone sure this is a real picture? I for one have never seen a D10 up close. I can not put my finger on it, but something just doesn't seem right. The ripper cylinder came apart, but isn't bent at all, possible, but I would think it would bend before it broke? Nothing in the picture that gives any real scale. Maybe it just light and angle of the picture but it look like something out of a grade B monster movie. Of course I could be way off base, it just seems a little off to me. I've seem similar photos before that later were found to be fakes. I sure hope someone here knows the story behind it.
that does look like the kind of rock you find down here in WV, and believe me it will do that, big chunks of sandstone like that have mudseams behind them and especially in cold weather they will give way without any noise or warning, we had a guy at work back in the winter smash a 320C excavator just like that....totaled the machine but luckily it was on his off side and he walked out of it, i wish i had some pics of it
I looked at the pictures more closely and if you look at the top 2 the final drive is showing and the bottom picture it is almost buried. Could the machine have sunk down that far during the picture taking? Also as was pointed out the ripper looks strange. Who knows.
look a little closer that cylinder snapped in half right at the housing
Typically cylinders dont bend , they will just shear right in two I think thats mainly because the steel they use is treated and is so hard its almost brittle , you know what I mean , I think when I saw the pics elsewhere they said that the machine was in a cut that the operator had ripped alot and loosened up the material and when the rocks came down , it made the dozer sink alittle
the 3rd pic is taken from a different position, more to the side and the final drive is more hidden by some dirt. I think it would have been down as far as it was going to go when those rocks hit it.
Wow....thats a bad deal! Cant believe that someone could walk away from that.
I just noticed if you look real close you can tell it is also raining. This may explain the sinking? The pics were most likely taken in the order as posted.
My guess would be that the weight of the rock in the slide is forceing the D10 sideways and maybe deeper, causing the material to stack up. I have seen several hyd. cylinder rods snap but I have not seen one bend. They were all on D9 G dozers. One was involved in a slide similar to the picture and the others were from operator abuse.
Those cylinders won't bend, with their hardness and metallurgy they will snap off.
It's pretty obvious that the third picture was taken from a different angle... As others have said that explains why you can't see the final drive like in the others. The dozer isn't sinking...
wow
Bet hes gotta a story to tell , I would love to hear his version of it . If it was me in there , I would have needed a little time off to collect my thoughts , I am sure he had a lotta thoughts going thru his mind . Lucky man !!!!!
If you look at them enough you can see that there is kind of a berm a few feet from the track, and the difference in the picture angle makes the sinking look. But its just that the berm is hiding more of the track.
He's pushing in a bull channel, where you take material from the top, push it at an angle into the channel and then straighten out and push down the channel. This makes a huge berm on either side of the blade that keeps material from spilling and you can move more each push. That's why it looks "sunk" its because the tracks are hidden by the bull channel. Also as soon as you stop pushing the dirt in front falls away from the blade which also looks funny (but normal).
Yikes... glad to hear he walk away from that..
Wow.... Lucky.
I wonder if that was classified as "stable rock" that required no sloping for safety purposes. Gravity works!
Hmmmnh, where did those big rocks come from? Shouldn't there be some chunks missing from above?