Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D11T frame up Rebuild

John C. · 2012-06-10 12:59

This was posted on the CatUsed web site. http://www.viddler.com/v/cacc4087 I hope I posted that link right. Enjoy

Videos in this topic

Browse the full video library

Replies20
  1. #1CM19952012-06-10 13:52

    You did John. Thanks for posting, that's pretty darn interesting. I believe the cert. rebuild programs will see a boost in business in the years to come.

  2. #2Nige2012-06-10 14:27

    Neat movie ..................... Certified Rebuilds have been around for quite a few years now. I always opined that Cat didn't publicize the program sufficiently because effectively if the frame of a machine is good then everything that hangs on to it gets rebuilt or replaced. Add to that if there's a long wait for new machinery the Certified Rebuild becomes even more of an option. Not all models are eligible for Certified Rebuild though.

  3. #3stock2012-06-10 14:33

    Thanks for that John, enjoyed it....................

  4. #4CM19952012-06-10 15:02

    Did a search since this was interesting and came up with this 980 rebuild. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcbadjBDGZc

  5. #5Scrub Puller2012-06-10 15:59

    Yair . . . Some of the Kiwi blokes on here may know of a "remanufacturing" program Cat. had in N.Z. back in the 'seventies. I saw a D8 being stripped down in Christchurch and was told it would be sold with a new tractor warranty. Cheers.

  6. #6DPete2012-06-10 18:08

    Great vid, wonder what the bill was??

  7. #7CM19952012-06-10 18:29

    Dpete, I think Cat says 50-60% of new price. Which at first seems steep, especially if they take the current price of the piece new or the price when the piece was new.:beatsme Either way, with all the emissions and electronics coming on the new machines these days, rebuild may become a more and more viable option. I did see on Cat's website that track loaders qualify for rebuild..

  8. #8DPete2012-06-10 19:37

    They do a beatiful job

  9. #9John C.2012-06-10 19:59

    The 980 video looks good too. With the coming regulations and the increased costs for brand new with all the crap bolted on I can see a huge increase in rebuild. The only thing to get in the way is parts prices.

  10. #10Nige2012-06-10 20:20

    CM's correct, and it's 50-60% of current new price. However for that money you get what is to all intents and purposes a new machine (after CR the machine is given a new Serial Number) and a full new machine warranty.

  11. #11JDOFMEMI2012-06-10 20:32

    I see that it was a 2008 machine to start with. I wonder how many hours it had, and what kind of application it was in to need a certified rebuild after only 4 years.

  12. #12Gavin84w2012-06-10 21:00

    24000HRS Jerry, does not say it was a certified rebuild and at 24000 it would be a bit early IMO. Certainly first major overhaul but you can do a certified when you like if you are happy to pay i guess. Ex oil sands machine so she would have needed a bit!!

  13. #13Aussie John2012-06-11 02:31

    At 24,000 hours, it would have been on the end of it's second engine life and probably the rest of the power train also. On the D11Rs, 12000 hours is about best I have seen from machines that are earning their keep. Throw in an undercarriage overhaul as well and when this all gets done at once, there is not much that remains on the frame.

  14. #14Scrub Puller2012-06-11 02:51

    Yair . . . What is the go with the "oil-sands" that is tough on machines? Are they ripping to wear grousers as 'alco' posted on another thread. I think 500 hours was mentioned from extreme service pads. Any comments? Cheers.

  15. #15alco2012-06-11 03:56

    Scrub Puller, I think if you look back you'll find that I wasn't talking about ripping or wearing extreme service pads in 500 hours. I have talked about tailings machines where the total undercarriage was shot in a remarkably short number of hours though. That's a totally different application, as the tractors effectively operate in a grinding slurry almost their entire life.

  16. #16Nige2012-06-11 07:21

    Any machine operating in the oil sands, and tractors especially, are subjected to contact with a grinding compound that is effectively bitumen mixed with sand (that's why they call it oil sands BTW......) that sticks to every square inch of exposed metal. Any tractor in a mining application would probably need a frame-up rebuild anyway after 24,000 hours IMO. As posted by Aussie John when you're changing out all the components plus a full undercarriage job there's little left apart from the frame. An ideal time to replace wiring harnesses, etc.

  17. #17Ross2012-06-11 22:42

    Av done a few D11 rebuilds including the first 'T'. Should take no longer than 5 days to strip and around 6 weeks to build. 12'500 hours is a rebuild life here. Then it's rebuilt again and sold off as a third lifer. No new big bits. Either rebuilt in house or Reman (Engine). The biggest problems come from the undercarriage as the majors ALWAYS crack. Then the cartridge pins usually crank and need to be axed out. The T's are a slight improvement with the 3 bolt roller caps. The cab gets a kit, not all the hoses are changed. Mainly blown through etc etc etc

  18. #18malcolm2012-06-12 02:46

    Hi Guys Blurred high speed videos do nothing for me .A 30 min vid showing the main points would have been really great , oh well it might just be me regards from cold wet New Zealand Malcolm

  19. #19nutwood2012-06-12 04:31

    Not just you Malcolm!

  20. #20rare ss2012-06-12 07:52

    if you did the vid of most of the workshops I've been in over the last few years the vid would be 15mins long with 10 mins of the guys doing paperwork! nice clip, they do a good job.. we had an old 14Y D9L with 32,000hrs (looked brand new though) which deserves a birthday like that and thrown in a museum