Worth watching artistic meatal work. *
Very cool project a bit different in the procedure than Forged in Fire. The end result was a very nice knife.
okay, I don't know crap about making knives... my first question would be about brittleness... would this knive break one one of those bearing 'seams' that you see revealed at the video end? it's beautiful, yes... but tough? I don't know.
It's mostly art I assume.
I think the knife was made with enough material for the thickness /durability and was properly hardened for strength. After he heat treated the knife he oil bathed it, tempering the atomic structure of the steel. Noticed how he ran a file over the knife’s edges and the file just scatted over the edge it did not cut or bit into the “hardened tempered edges”, a proper heat treatment. And then he put inside a heat oven to control the cooling process to prevent it from becoming brittle by cooling down to quickly. I don’t think the knife would not break easily as it has a lot of blade thickness and was heat treated properly, but with abuse any knife will break! By all means the man definitely seems to have a good handle on his craft!
I had a knife smith build me a prospecting pick. He (just by chance came through our claims). It is a nice lightweight tool with a fine sharp pick at one end & a concave curved/sharpened digging tool on the other end. It has a nice beaten patina… Keep it & a gold pan on quad as standard testing tools.
A guy here in town collected the blades used on the head rig here at the old saw mill. He built some nice knifes I was told--he passed away about ten years ago now. All hand made one of a kind, all made from recycled saw blades.