Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D31P-20 Lift cyl

southernman13 ยท 2010-05-02 14:17

I have a 1996 D31px-20 lgp, does any one have a sshematic on the lift cylinder, one of mine was leaking so I took it apart to put in new seals. Well I wasnt pauing attention when I took the piston end off the bottom to get to the head and not 100% sure I out it back on in the right direction. It has two grooves in it one for a wear ring and the other has a square o-ring with anothe fiber type ring that fits over it, I put the wear ring facing the head of the cyliner, not sure if its right. I thought the wear ring normally faces the bottom of the barrel but the looking at the piston it looked like that end of it was riding againts the shaft and no the nut. the reason I ask is it doesnt leak any more but now the blade drifts down, not real bad but you gotta keep lifting it when just driving from point a to b and it never did that before. Or it could be a holding valve stuck open not really sure, I've rebuilt many hydraulic cylinders and cant belive i didnt mark it or take a picture prior to taking it apart. The seal on the piston was bigger around than the wear ring and it wasnt directional like a poly pack so i really didnt see why it wouldnt work either way, thanks in advance. Oh also I was told these units use 40 weight motor oil for all of the fuids ie hyd, engine, trans etc. I added 3 gal of 15w40 delo 400 could this be the problem is that the righ oil for the hydraulics, thanks

Replies3
  1. #1FurakawaMatt2010-05-02 14:53

    Do not know about the Komatsu of that year but the Operators manual for the D31A P-16 (I have a 1981) indicates CD SAE 10W for throughout the year usage on hydraulic fluid. Where all the rest is CD SAE 30 to temp of 0F, and SAE 10W below that temp. Sorry no Information on the lift cylinder.

  2. #2MrKomatsu2010-05-03 21:29

    back-up ring to top...always......o-ring to bottom.......10w.......oil in system

  3. #3MrKomatsu2010-05-03 21:31

    drawing coming......