Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JD450B Steer Clutch Adjustment

Nick350 · 2024-02-17 22:34

Hey ya'll, I am in the market for a smallish dozer and am considering going to look at a JD450B nearish me (I live in Central TN). He finished the work he needed to and now its been sitting for about a year The owner says the steering clutches and breaks were replaced before he got it about a year and a half ago-2 years ago. He also said the steering clutches will need to be adjusted for it to steer currently but it brakes good. I am not new to equipment but am to dozers, is the an easy job? (something I could do there before paying?) Right now he is asking $10k (pics below), below my budget so happy to get a discounted piece if possible / it is a good buy. Let me know ya'lls opinions. I'm gonna be using one to build a dirt bike track, hoping to get a JD450b/c. Its just the right size given what I'm working with

Replies11
  1. #1Diesel Dave2024-02-18 11:29

    If you need the procedure it’s in the operators manual. https://www.johndeeretechinfo.com/search?p0=model&p0_v=450B&p1=search&p1_v=OMT40817_BN&pattr=p0,p1 . I’m thinking there are more issues involved, if it is only an adjustment required the owner would have attempted it already.

  2. #2Dave Neubert2024-02-18 14:28

    under carriage looks weak

  3. #3Nick3502024-02-18 18:01

    I thought so too, thanks

  4. #4Welder Dave2024-02-18 23:12

    A Cat D3B or D3C would be another good machine to consider and maybe a Case 550G. They were fairly common. A skid steer is a great machine to have for building an MX track. A CTL too but more maintenance and not as good for packing jumps or rollers. The nice thing with a skid steer or CTL is you can see exactly what the bucket edge is doing.

  5. #5Nick3502024-02-19 00:39

    Thanks for the manual, I'll be staying away from this machine Thanks for the advice, I would love a tracked skiddy for the track, would make grooming way easier. We have a ton of elevation on our track and the dozer will help with cutting some cross slope lanes in. Been building with a tractor and a big backhoe, takes forever but get the job done

  6. #6Welder Dave2024-02-19 02:39

    Sounds like a good place to build a track.

  7. #7Nick3502024-02-19 18:08

    @Welder Dave Yeah its pretty rad not gonna lie, lots of work but I got my whole life for that. I have a youtube that I make track building / heavy equipment repair content if you want to see it. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLFk3FLNxVPAmUtQIEg5mrOyCt9BxuOBZd

  8. #8Tyler d4c2024-02-19 18:28

    10000 for a 450b is about 9400 too much Like wd said find something like a little cat. I may just hate them old deere dozers we use to repair many of them

  9. #9Nick3502024-02-19 18:49

    I would love a Cat but they are hard to come by in my price range. Any tips on some things to lookout for on the 450b/c?

  10. #10Tyler d4c2024-02-19 19:16

    Get a c then you get wet clutches. If it looks like a train wreak it probably is. Make sure where the track frames attach isn't loose with a machine this old it is only worth what the under carrage is as in if the bottom is worn out it's worth next to nothing.

  11. #11Nick3502024-02-19 19:30

    thanks, appreciate the advice!