Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D3B maybe C

AllDodge ยท 2020-03-23 09:22

I'm thinking CAT did it to me AGAIN Could be that or SIS as usual is not up to date My throttle cable had a lot of slop, so looked up the part 5G2315 and bought one. The entire cable is a bit longer then the one which was one it, but that was not an issue. The problem is from where the nuts which hold the cable to the end of the cable is about 2 inches shorter, so its the length of the ends Mt D3B has the 3F / 3R transmission same as one found on the C model. When I look up the parts on SIS it doesn't show the single control handle, it shows only the 2 handle model (one throttle and 1 shift

Replies24
  1. #1Nige2020-03-23 10:04

    Is this the illustration you see on SIS.? This is the 6S-8967 Governor Control Group for machines from 27Y5719-Up. Cable item 5 is called out as a 5G-2315. Same cable 5G-2315 also appears to be the cable used for governor control on all D3B & D3C machines equipped with a single control handle. Do you have a single or double control handle on your machine.?

  2. #2AllDodge2020-03-23 11:17

    Yes that's what I also found. The pic shows the bracket is attached to the fuel tank, but mine is attached to the transmission selector mechanism, and it is attached to fuel tank. Mine only has the one combo throttle/shift T-handle. Note the different lengths

  3. #3AllDodge2020-03-23 11:48

    Can anyone understand what the part history is saying? This is the control parts

  4. #4Nige2020-03-23 12:56

    What NPR is saying is that the cable is used on all the S/N prefixes listed, but does not say for what. It's likely to be the governor control cable though, a quick look reveals D4C & D5C are pretty much all of those listed prefixes. Then at the bottom the 6S8967 & 8Y1150 Control Groups are the governor control for what seems to be all versions of D3B & C equipped with a single cable governor control. I may have found something, and it relates to the angle of the arm on the injection pump governor shaft. Refer to the illustration in post #2. The arm is pointing down and angled at about 45 deg to the left as you look at it. In your photo post #3 the governor shaft control arm appears to be pointing almost straight up. It looks to me as though there is too much hardware obstructing things to be able to angle your control arm the way the Parts Manual shows it. Here's a question. Is your engine the original S/N 45V53461 that the tractor had when it left the factory...? Check this out. This is a 5G-5349 Governor Control Group. The orientation of the arm on the governor shaft #9 appears to pretty much match your machine. The support bracket #24 is also way more angled than the one shown in SIS (back to post #2 again) which is almost straight. It's hard to tell from the photo but does that support bracket give the impresision of being home-made..? It looks to me like a piece of bent angle iron. The Cable for the arrangement shown below is a 5G-3518.

  5. #5AllDodge2020-03-23 13:44

    Don't see it being the angle, the bracket at pump area is 1/4 thick and would take some doing to bend it. The one at the throttle handle is a bit thinner and I have bent it as much as possible to allow more cable to go toward the pump side. I think the internal cable is not long enough. Seeing the old cable has much more to work with. Thought about swapping old inner core into new jacket, but the jacket is longer then the old, so don't see that working.

  6. #6Nige2020-03-23 13:57

    My apologies. I thought I made my point clear but it appears as though you're missing it. The governor control arm on your tractor (blue arrow) seems to point almost directly upwards, the one shown in the Parts Manual for your Serial Number points down and to the left. See post #2. The support bracket in the same photo looks like it was home-made (not necessarily by you). Is it..? Compare the "crank angle" between the two support brackets shown in the two control groups 5G-5349 & 6S-8967.

  7. #7AllDodge2020-03-23 16:17

    Got it, but don't see it giving me enough travel going lower, and cable goes straight out if I would tighten down the nut, it was just sitting on top the U. The bracket looks original and resembles the one on CAT drawing. The CAT drawing is not great but do note the shape. The cable bracket could be lowered one hole, but I need length. Bracket on control box is bolted as in drawing. I bent the fork and still unable to get even close. If I connect cable to pump end, there is zero cable left to connect to control. Pump handle moves about 2 inches from OFF to WOT. I can move it a bit and should still work, but length remains the issue Pic just for comparison of cable dropped in fully Found number on old jacket 7 94 SC 5G

  8. #8AllDodge2020-03-23 16:18

    Pic of cable

  9. #9Nige2020-03-23 17:28

    7-94. OK, if that means what I think it means it appears as though there is a good chance the old cable is not original. Your tractor was built in 1986. Do you have the engine Serial Number that is in the tractor right now..?

  10. #10Old Magnet2020-03-23 17:32

    Internet search says 5G2315 cable is 2100mm long, 76.2mm travel. Is that what you have?

  11. #11Nige2020-03-23 17:51

    OM, can you find any information regarding the length and operating travel of Cable 5G-3518..?

  12. #12AllDodge2020-03-23 18:12

    Yes its 45V53461 2100mm (82.67 inch) long and 76.2mm (3 inch) travel Old - Jacket length 83 inch, Travel 3 inch New - Jacket length 87 inch, travel 2.75 I think the issue is the fixed thread length, if I have the additional 3 inch (76.2mm) it would fit. Otherwise I need to make new brackets

  13. #13Old Magnet2020-03-23 18:30

    5G3518 = 1888mm long, 76.2mm travel. From the actual parts book for 27Y2519-up 5G2315 cable 5G4946 bracket 5G4949 governor lever (pointed down at 45*) I'd say your cable has been substituted

  14. #14AllDodge2020-03-23 18:36

    Does it show where the measurements are taken from?

  15. #15Old Magnet2020-03-23 18:53

    That's overall length of the inner cable then the retractable distance. Forget my confusion statement. thought I grabbed the wrong number when Nige asked.

  16. #16Nige2020-03-23 19:02

    Just considering the engine end I think if the arm was oriented in the same way as it is shown in the Parts Manual (instead of pointing vertically up like it does now) and the bracket by the filter was lowered by one hole the cable ought to be close to mating up.

  17. #17AllDodge2020-03-23 19:33

    It may look like its pointing up, but its not, it is level with the entry hole behind it. I'm close to 1 inch short from even being able to connect. When it does connect, the other end of the cable (control handle side) has no room left to move, and its just about as far away from the 2 connection points. Figuring I need 2 inches (50mm) of movement after the cable is connected. Moving the pump arm on the bottom and angle a bit closer but still need enough to reach WOT from OFF. The 2 inch movement will also be needed at the control side, and that brackets is just as far away and there is no way to change the dimension other then bending as I started to do I'll try anything you want and do appreciate your input, but being on sight I don't see it making a difference enough to work.

  18. #18AllDodge2020-03-23 19:45

    For a pic

  19. #19Nige2020-03-23 21:15

    I get what you're saying, but the fact that you mentioned some of the brackets/supports on your old cable are not the same as what the Parts Manual shows, plus the what appears to be a July 1994 Date Code on the cable suggests to me the likelihood that the cable was replaced at some point after the machine was built in 1986 and the possibility that some brackets/supports were fabri-cobbled to suit the installed cable. Your comment - " The pic shows the bracket is attached to the fuel tank, but mine is attached to the transmission selector mechanism, and it is attached to fuel tank." The more I look at it the more I am convinced that the cable support bracket at the injector pump end of the cable is not genuine. The additional hole in it is the first evidence of that, but there are other things as well that scream "wrong" at me. Your estimate that you require about 2" of cable movement to go from closed to WOT. With the new cable having 2.75" of travel it apparently has the required range that seems to be OK, it's potentially a case of organizing the supporting bracketry to allow everything to connect.

  20. #20AllDodge2020-03-23 21:58

    Sorry, and this is probably going to cause me to loose a guy I like to have around bouncing my questions off of But I have no idea what your smoking ... but it it must be some really good crap I sure don't remember saying they where not like what was on the drawing, I did say it was welded, then in future post said and posted "pic" it was bolted. CAT does not know how to make a drawing, I know how dealing with the USN for many years. The one pic "in one drawing" which you posted showed showed it was attached to fuel tank..... but "mine" showed it was attached to the trans mech It starting to sound like your picking and choosing, and all good because I need help to figure this out. Being a 94 cable is also not an issue. The steering clutches have been replaced, as previously posted in my other thread. So replacing the cable does not indicate a junked up fix, it only indicates that a part has been replaced just as one of the steering clutch selectors was, but the other was not Give it a bit more thought and then maybe another thought, or just forget about it. You do keep missing the point that the previous post(s) mentioned that the threaded part is 1.5 inches longer then the new one. I can fix the damn thing, was just hoping I bought the wrong part again Have a good night

  21. #21Old Magnet2020-03-24 12:09

    If you weren't to cheap to buy a parts manual you'd know that the T-handle combined governor and transmission control group 5G4866 is an attachment for 27Y2519 up and has different cable attachment (to the shift tower). Unfortunately it does not list a different cable though.

  22. #22John C.2020-03-24 12:32

    I've never bought a cable from a Cat dealer on any machine. I've taken the old cable to a marine supplier and had them make a new one from the example of the old one. Currently, I've been using Instrument Sales and Service for those cables and they have a web site that provides the procedure to measure the current one and they can supply a new one to you. http://www.instrumentsales.com

  23. #23AllDodge2020-03-24 12:36

    Hey ya got me I'm cheap, and thanks at least we all know that it wasn't anything other then I bought the wrong cable. Thanks, as an avid boater I never thought about that. Going to call CAT and see if their folks can provide any insight

  24. #24MattR2020-03-24 12:42

    That's what I've done also with our graders. There is a great place in green bay called machine services that does a great job.