Can any of you good folks tell me what a winch like this should be worth? It's on a 90 model JD 650G that I'm considering... Thanks in advance for your help!
Winch Values I purchased a Very Used, full of water, HYSTER D4F for $1300, Spent $200 on new control cable, Spent $180 on Customizing driveshaft and seals. Lots of time and effort to mount it to my 78A D4D. Paint job and got a almost new 3/4 cable from a local rigging company. One that is already mounted and working should be worth more?
Winch Value #2 Here is a photo of the winch that I have lots of sweat and less than $2K
Kind of what I was thinking Crooked. I think you got yourself a good deal. I've looked a multiple sites and from what I can tell, this looks like a series 4000 (not sure of the brand) and prices for new ones are darn near what the dozer is worth. Thinking is that if I decide I don't need the winch, I can sell it and get some of my $$ back...~$7-8K doesn't seem unreasonable if the winch is working as it should. Can anybody shed some light the hydraulic vs PTO winches? Beings this is a 25 year old setup, is it safe to assume that it is PTO driven? or do the hydraulic models go back that far? Thanks, SS
Nice looking setup you got there. Did you refurb it yourself? Is that winch pto driven? What is its rating?
That winch is probably PTO driven. On my 650H I ordered it with a new power in / out 4000 series winch and it cost me over $18,000 in 2001. They are a good winch in my opinion.
YEC, does yours look similar to pic I sent? I'm trying to figure our if it's Hyster/Allied or what the brand is?
The winch on the D4D is a direct drive pto type winch. This type of winch is a simpler design than the power controlled pto winch as there is no internal clutches or hydraulics to control the winch . The direct drive winch requires the pto to be stopped to engage the gears in the winch, this is done by disengaging the master clutch for the transmission. The direct drive winch has separate levers for gears and the brake, the controls are usually located next to the master clutch. When using the direct drive winch the tractor is to be put in neutral when using the winch. To operate, disengage the master clutch and put the winch into gear, engage the master clutch and let the winch brake off at the same time. To disengage the winch, disengage the master clutch and apply the winch brake.
Skid Shear , My winch looks just like the one in your picture. It is a John Deere 4000 series winch.
I have a D4D cat dozer 83J4102. It has a D4F Hyster winch pto driven. The dozer is a power shift 3 forward 3 reverse. It does not a master cluctch to disengage the live pto when running winch. You have to litteraly stop the machine to engage it. Is this normal for that type of set up
You should never have to turn the motor off to engage a winch .
Winchman; that late a D4D has live PTO which constantly runs everytime engine is running. Early powershift D4D had a 'disconnect' dog clutch to drive PTO and on those you did use a D4F winch; i know because i had one. And you used the 3F/3R to drive winch at line speed you wanted. Your D4D should NEVER have had a Hyster D4F winch fitted. Because yes only way you can get winch into and out of gear is to stop engine. WAY too dangerous to use. You need a Hyster W5A or a W5B powershift winch; or Cat model 54 powershift winch to fit your D4D to do any sort of winching Epirbalax; Later powershift D4D and D4E have constant running direct drive PTO. you can,t use a sliding gear winch on them; has to be powershift winch PTO drives on all powershift D4D is an ATTACHMENT, had to be fitted at factory. There are no transfer gears in transmission so PTO drive is totally different to any other cat crawler.
I could not see how someone would fit a winch without checking first that it was correct for the machine . I fitted a D series to my D47U , straight forward job , makes me wonder if the person who later bought the winch from me to fit to a D4D had a power shift or direct drive dozer . One person who approached me at a later time for the winch to fit to a D4D power shift sure would have had a surprise coming .
Hyster D4D winch was made for 7U and is drilled for 3/4 studs. D4E winch has the 3/4 AND 7/8 stud holes for D4C/D tractors also the 2 are a slightly different stud pattern. So if the person who bought your D4D winch wanted to put it on a D4D tractor they will have to modify the bolt holes, centre holes are easy but upper and lower are totally different. Also the winch PTO shaft to fit on a powershift D4D tractor is longer than the winch pto shaft fitted to a direct drive D4D tractor; all the direct drive D4 tractors use the short winch shaft.