I have a leaking lift cylinder on my D3C III Hystat. The pins holding the cylinder to the frame are a puzzle. Can anyone tell me how to get them out? And for that matter, how to get them back in? The rear pin appears to be pressed into the cylinder end, and it has a threaded hole in the middle. The front pin may come off by removing two bolts that appear to hold a cam shaped spacer that the pin slides through.
You got the rod end figured out. The butt end, I would pull the engine side covers, look for a bolt or pin or lock of some kind on the inside. The threaded hole is obviously for a slide hammer or puller, or just a bolt to pull or pry on.
I have already pulled the engine side cover. There is nothing but a flat plate welded inside to add strength where the pin slides through. It looks like the only thing keeping the rear pin in place is a very, very tight fit. I could build a puller out of a bolt run through a piece of pipe with a plate welded on the end and just use the bolt to pull the pin out, but what is the proper method for getting it back in place?
Should be a bolt that does down through frame and pin right next to where the hose goes into the can end of the cylinder the only thing youll see is the bolt head
Thank you very much! The bolt head was covered in compacted dirt and I did not see it until now. It is on the back side of the cylinder and under the hydraulic hose. Hard to spot it unless you know it is there. Problem solved.
I am piggy-backing on this thread as I'm having a difficult time getting the pin out. I have taken the bolt out that keeps the pin in place, shot the seams with penetrating oil, tapped and threaded a bolt onto the end of the pin and attempted to pull the pin out all to no avail. Could the pin push all the way through, or does it have to be pulled out? I cannot tell. I assume it has to be pulled out. The other side of where the pin is located is inside the engine compartment with little to no availability to get your head in to be able to even see. Main thing: I cannot get the pin out to take the lift cylinder all the way off. Suggestions?
You can always leave the barrel on and just pull the rod out also
Good idea. I had planned on taking the cylinder to have it repacked somewhere, but I assume if I can get it out myself then it should be straightforward to do myself. This would be my first to repack. Thoughts on difficulty?
Just unscrew the head cap and pull it out. Sometimes they are a little stiff and need some tapping. But it won't be bad. You'll have to just loosen the lines up so it will allow air in so it can come out. Have a plan ready for some oil. They won't need the barrel to do the repacking work.
Awesome—thanks so much!