Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D3K2 Oil Pressure

JJM1 ยท 2022-10-02 13:58

I have a 2012 (new to me) D3K2 XL Dozer with 1,900 hours that has an oil pressure reading of 74psi at startup and 72psi after allowing it to warm up for 5 minutes. Didn't expect it to be quite this high and was hoping someone could comment on whether I may have an issue. I recently changed all of the fluids and filters in the machine.

Replies4
  1. #1Nige2022-10-02 15:53

    OK, so according to the system we have 8 different flavours of D3K2. How about a Serial Number to narrow the field down a bit.?

  2. #2JJM12022-10-02 16:09

    Hi Nige, You've responded to me in the past so I appreciate you following up. The number on the machine is CAT0D3K2AKFF00186. I am curious though that the machines are that different that even oil pressure specs might vary between them. Thanks, John

  3. #3Nige2022-10-02 16:44

    It's really nothing to do with that, it's more the way the search function works in the online system. Without a S/N it's a really clunky process and I'm lazy ........ IMO you need to allow much more time to warm up. 70+psi would not be unusual with cold oil. Try to see what the difference is with all machine systems at normal operating temperature, coolant at 85+ DegC for example. You will likely see a much lower oil pressure than the 72psi you measured after only a 5-minute warm up. The Nominal Oil Pressure Spec for that model engine is 70psi @ Low Idle with a minimum of 50 DegC Coolant Temp. EDIT: And the absolute minimum allowable is 40psi with all systems at NOT and the engine turning @ 2200 RPM.

  4. #4JJM12022-10-02 19:16

    Thanks for the explanation on the S/N. Thanks also for the oil pressure spec. I feel much better about it and I think you're right. It's sat for a while in my barn and the temp has been getting into the high 40's F in the evening. I will check it after I've run it a bit. Thanks again!