I appreciate any help in advance. I recently acquired a D3K2 which has a zerk that won’t take grease. It’s the zerk fitting in the angled metal bracket between the lift cylinder and the tilt cylinder. I took out the zerk and you can see that it is connected to a hose but I can’t see what the other end of the hose is connected to. Any idea where this grease should be going? Thanks, John
Which one is it one the illustration below - #5.? What have you tried so far to get grease into it, other than a regular grease gun.?
Thanks. It’s number 5. Would you know what that is greasing. I see a hose running under the grease point but can’t determine where the grease is going? I can get about 3 pumps in and it builds up back pressure. I did try a grease buster with penetrating oil.
#5 is for the pivot pin on the C-Frame. I can't see a hose for grease anywhere but that may be because I don't have a machine Serial Number to work with. Is the grease fitting screwed right onto the end of the pin.? If it is then maybe you need to remove the pin and clean out the grease passage in it. Post a photo showing the setup around the grease fitting. It might help to understand what you are working with.
Thanks. The illustration is very helpful. The serial number is AKFF00186. There is an oblong shaped metal plate held on with two bolts on top of the angled bracket. If you zoom in you can see it on the angled piece (it’s not labeled). When I take off the metal plate I can see a hose that is crimped to the zerk fitting on top. Just can’t see where the bottom of the hose connects.
Don't try a grease buster or any other technique with the hose. the hose will fail, or just absorb the shock. The only method that can work with the hose is holding oil pressure on it while working the joint. Most likely, you'll have to remove the hose and clean the grease out of the joint, then apply penetrating oil at the least.
The one marked "13-21-20" below.?
Yes, that’s it. Are there any illustrations that show how much I need to remove to access the other end of the hose? Thanks very much for all your help.
The Parts Manual has shown nothing - very strange. However the points marked "5" (one on each side of the machine) are for greasing the C-frame pivot pins, so here's a suggestion. Grease the bejasus out of the zerk on the other side of the machine while someone keeps an eye open for grease spewing out in the areas marked "3" & "14a" in the illustration in post #4 above. I'm fairly certain one zerk will lubricate the upper pin, the other one will lubricate the lower pin. Once you know which pin is getting grease then you know where to look for the other end of the hose that you can see undeneath the plate. I would imagine the hose is not your problem, it will be inside the joint, and getting that pin out to clean htings up may be a real challenge. My money is on it being the upper pin.
I may be totally off on what you guys are saying, but on our 6n the angle cylinders have a zerk on the cylinder eye that has a hose running to it. This would be where pin #3 is at on the diagram if im picking up what you guys are putting down. Now that i think about it, our 700 has almost the same plate and zerk the op is asking about. It also has a hose to the angle cylinder pin.
Thanks for weighing in. I do think they are correct that the hose leads to the c-frame pivot (5). I have access to and can grease pin 3. Haven’t had a chance to get back to the machine yet but, just can’t figure out how to work on pin 5 without tearing most of the front of the machine apart. Thanks.
And therein lies your problem with a machine as small as a D3. I think the single fitting on each side that the OP has identified lubricate the upper & lower vertical pins on which the blade assembly pivots when it angles from side to side. Maybe go looking in that area for grease hoses.? EDIT: No it's not....... The zerks lubricate the LH & RH pivot pins respectively at the back end of the C-Frame. In the illustration below 13 is the zerk and 40 is the angle fitting that screws into whatever carries the pivot pin. These are the pins where the C-frame pivots up & down in other words. To confirm that, as I suggested above, grease the one that will take grease and see where the grease comes out. Here are the C-Frame Removal instructions which might help you understand how the joint at the rear end works. I don't think the frame itself will need to come out but it will certainly be a case of "some disassembly required" to get at the pin that is not taking grease.
Thank you. The illustrations are great.
Apologies for steering you in the wrong direction initially. I couldn't find the zerk - and still can't because it is part of the hose assembly #13 and is not listed separately. Eventually I just searched for every hose on the machine and the grease hose popped up in the hydraulic system as part of the hoses for the blade tilt. Can't say that I've ever found a grease hose in the same group with a bunch of hydraulic hoses before but I guess there's a first time for everything.
You've been a great help! Thanks so much!
FWIW we've had to replace of few of those hydraulic lines for the blade cylinders on our D5G throughout the years. Nige's pic above of the hose bracket with the grease line is close to or on top of the pin. To change a line you have to take that bracket apart. JJ you might get lucky and be able to access the zerk once you remove that bracket and lines. Get a couple of small ratchet straps to hold th hydro lines out of the way. Good luck!
Thank you! I’m going to give it a try.
Dealing with that hose group and bracket that Nige showed, by the way, is a stone cold b***** that will have you screaming and cussing. Very tight squeeze for hand/finger access. Be ready with a few choice phrases and curses to put on engineers. Lots of beer will also help but they won’t allow me to drink at work. Pity.
That thought came to my mind as well, bearing in mind the size of the machine. If the tractor could be run up on blocks or put over a pit it might help create a bit more space.