Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Fd5 Keeps shutting off

willie16wild · 2021-09-10 16:02

I have an Fiat FD5 dozer and it keeps shutting off on me. This is what I have done so far. I put new fuel lines on it. Feed line and return line. New transfer pump( there's no air bubbles in site glass on the transfer. It completely full ) I cleaned out the tank Drilled new hole at bottom of tank and welded fitting to it for feed line. Put new shut off valve at tank for feed line New filter. I have bleeded the lines up to the injectors. I was sort of thinking it could in the injector pump? I was able to run it for 15 minutes yesterday then it shut off. It slowly was losing power till it finally shut off. I was able to start it back up but kept shutting off on me.

Replies17
  1. #1thepumpguysc2021-09-10 21:41

    What injection pump does it have.? CAV/Delphi or RoosaMaster / Stanadyne.??

  2. #2willie16wild2021-09-11 17:10

    It's a bosch injector pump.

  3. #3willie16wild2021-09-11 17:13

    This pump exactly

  4. #4Delmer2021-09-11 17:15

    Inline pump or a rotary? Have you tried running it off a can of fuel, or a temporary tank?

  5. #5willie16wild2021-09-11 18:51

    Yep already did that. Still shuts off.

  6. #6Delmer2021-09-11 19:26

    Check the return line for air. Run the return into a can so you can observe that it stays running without air. Try pumping the primer when it dies, is it pulling against a suction? does it pump up to full pressure right away, or take many strokes? Could try a vacuum/pressure gauge teed into the inlet line.

  7. #7willie16wild2021-09-12 13:19

    When the dozer shuts off on me I hear air bubbles in the tank. I have not tried the return line in the tank. I will try that tomorrow. Today is a little busy for me.

  8. #8thepumpguysc2021-09-13 05:30

    That is a FIAT INJ PUMP.. It sounds like a supply problem.. Get it bogging down and have someone stroke the hand primer several times and see if the rpms pick back up.. Does the supply pump have a filter in the bowl.?? Clean it out..

  9. #9DMiller2021-09-13 05:35

    Most important, Electric or mechanical shut off system? If solenoid to a lever, pull solenoid install a temporary cable and try it, if internal electric start checking the safety circuits and wiring.

  10. #10willie16wild2021-09-13 14:15

    It's a mechanical shut off. I have a new supply pump on it. And the filter is clean in site glass. I have ran it a max of 2 hours since since I put the new supply pump on.

  11. #11thepumpguysc2021-09-13 16:50

    R u saying it’s fixed.??

  12. #12willie16wild2021-09-13 22:46

    No its still not fixed. When I said up on top I put a new transfer pump on I mean supply pump.

  13. #13thepumpguysc2021-09-14 00:16

    Check the overflow valve.. From your pictures, it looks like it’s the banjo bolt by the gov end.. It’ll have a ball and spring in it.. Push on the ball to make sure it has pressure on it.. U can use a Bosch in its place.

  14. #14willie16wild2021-09-14 21:15

    Yep check that awhile back too. I toke it off and cleaned all out and it worked good.

  15. #15Old Cats 712021-09-23 06:44

    I would temporarily wire in an electric fuel pump to replace the lift pump .. Sounds like once it starts to warm up the lift pump is breaking down….

  16. #16Vetech632021-09-23 08:10

    Could you describe "shuts off?" There is slowly choking off the fuel shut-off, and there is "shut off" immediately as it would in turning off the key switch.

  17. #17Vetech632021-09-23 08:12

    NEVERMIND!.......I need reading comprehension courses I guess