Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D4 purchase

mce5802 ยท 2018-10-07 12:15

I just made a deal today on a D4, kind of a rushed thing. I was in the middle of shaling a formerly abandonded town road and the grader was less than ideal for levelling the stuff. The right final is binding up in my 3t D7 so that's out of commission for now at least. Anyway I bought this D4. Good undercarriage, steers and starts good. I was wondering what model it is, I forgot to get the serial number. It still has Caterpillar on the sides of the radiator, fuel tank to the left of the operator, and the air cleaner is at the rear of the hood. I'm not too familiar with older 4's, I ran a D4H for quite a few years but the only similarity that has is the name. Im thinking this one must be a 7j or a 2t? Anyone familiar with these know of any common problems?

Replies5
  1. #1Old Magnet2018-10-07 12:31

    Air cleaner at the rear of the hood and side tank describes a 6U/7U D4.

  2. #2mce58022018-10-07 12:51

    Thanks for getting back to me so fast! So would it have the later engine? Also, on my D7 do you have any idea of the common failure in the final drive? It growls and driving it into the shop as slow as I could one track actually bound up tight, I reversed a little and went ahead again and it freed up. I realize its a shot in the dark, I just know from reading this forum that you have a lot of knowledge on this. Also do I have to have Caterpillar press the sprockets on and off?

  3. #3Old Magnet2018-10-07 15:21

    6U/7U would have the D315 engine. Bearing or gear failure in the 3T final drives Yes, sprocket need puller to R/R

  4. #4mce58022018-10-07 15:45

    Thanks for replying

  5. #5mce58022018-10-11 06:54

    just to update, its a 6u, 1950 model. Runs good, steers good, but it has a couple issues. Pony had water in the oil, the main engine smokes some, and the governor or rack doesn't seem quite right. Overall im satisfied with it so far though. Ill get it in the shop over the winter and work on it. Thanks again, OM