Last week, I won the online bid for a D4C (SN: 1RJ00652) 1988 model with 3488.8 hours.....that was supposed to be inoperable; however, I put a battery in it and it fired right up like it was running all the time. It moved and I was able to self load vice tow and bring home last week! It has one bad swing cylinder (casing cracked) but my new cylinder came in today. The machine has been setting for about 3 years but found out after I bought it that the engine is brand new....Yay! I was wondering why it was so clean....apparently a shop was working on the dozer and blew the engine so they has to replace the motor. I pulled the cover from the floor board and check tranny fluids....one checked full and the other wasn't touching the stick. That dipstick has "Bevel Gears" written on the stick.....so what oil goes into that area and what is it's function? See pictures. It doesn't steer very strong.....is there an adjustment for the steering brakes? Does anyone have the electrons for the Operator's manual, Shop manual and Parts manual?
I can give you the Cat publication references if nothing else. There's more than likely plenty of used genuine OEM stuff kicking around the usual internet marketplaces. Operation & Maintenance Manual - SEBU6155 Parts Manual - SEBP1767 Service Manual - SENR3540 NOTE: A Service Manual, provided it is complete, will also contain a copy of the O&M Manual.
Thx Nige