Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D4D Crankshaft neededm 3304 engine

old-iron-habit · 2020-03-30 20:05

Hi Folks, I purchased a local D4D last fall that had been partially torn down because of a knock in it. It has the 3304 in it. The fellow that bought it, a pretty knowledgeable mechanic thought it was just a fuel knock. Well to make a long story short he ended up pulling the pan and found a rod bearing in the oil pan. Not having the time or desire to fix it, it as these things seem to happen, it ended up in my shop. I got it pulled apart and the crank is cracked and non repairable. Looking for a crank or possibly a complete engine and/or combo in between.

Replies7
  1. #1dozr2020-03-31 15:03

    good luck i have two runing one with spun main, but want to keep for parts for my two 5h and 951 loader, mite try greenville head and block in greenville they helped me before i got my parts stace.

  2. #2Metalman 552020-03-31 17:33

    Sounds familiar, only mine was a D330 from a 78A machine. Never did find a crank.

  3. #3crane operator2020-03-31 18:29

    There's several 3304 crankshafts on ebay, some used, some new. Looked like $500-1,000 for most of them. Do you have a part # ?

  4. #4old-iron-habit2020-03-31 21:52

    EDIT. I believe the part number is 4N-7692. My pars book is with the machine but looking on eBay every 3304 rebuilt crank lists this number. I did find a fresh ground one ready to go at a machine shop that specializes in cranks. They want $800.00 plus shipping. My mobile Cat mechanic friend thought that was quite high. What do you guys think. No bushings provided with the ground one and as of tonight I don't know how much it is under.

  5. #5old-iron-habit2020-03-31 22:17

    My other D4D has the D330.

  6. #6Nige2020-04-01 09:27

    All I can tell you is that from the Big C a Reman one is $4200 (020 or 030 under) and a new one is $4800. Also without bearings.

  7. #7Old Magnet2020-04-01 13:31

    4N-7692 is the recommended field replacement but you need the crankshaft casting number if your going shopping for other 3304 units. Also check your parts manual for other s/n related units eg: 83J3432 to last built can be a 2P-6214 or 4N-7695 part number crankshaft.