Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D5g stops moving at random and doesn’t track straight

Mason310 · 2020-03-30 22:01

I have a cat D5Gxl (prefix Hwb0138) that stops moving at random and if I just change direction it starts going again. If I let it sit it kicks the parking on. Some times I can’t even move 1 ft with out it stopping other times I can go for 15 min without a stoping. Not sure if the parking brake needs a specific amount of pressure to stay disengaged, I also don’t exactly understand where the park valve gets pressure from. It also doesn’t track straight. It has good power to the tracks but the right one is a little slower while the joystick is in the straight forward position. Cat came out and tried to calibrate the electronic part that upstrokes the pump, said it won’t calibrate and probably needs a pump. I was thinking of Maybe just turning one of the displacement screws on the rear pump to give the right track drive a little more fluid. And above would be very helpful!

Replies5
  1. #1Tyler d4c2020-03-30 23:16

    Need to check brake release pressure if it is in spec I'd point toward the pressure switch if I remember correctly it tells the ecm the brake is released. It would be helpful to know if there was codes present. If the ecm thinks the brake is coming on it will kick it out of the calibration. Bit a jump to point straight to a pump in my eyes

  2. #2Nige2020-03-31 10:20

    Kudos for posting a Serial Number - but HWB prefix is a 416F2 backhoe loader........ When the machine stops do you get any fault lights or does the warning buzzer go off..?

  3. #3Mason3102020-03-31 10:52

    Lol I got the serial number from a cat invoice. When the machine stops doesn’t beep or throw any fault codes.

  4. #4Smallscontracting2020-03-31 14:16

    If you don’t mind I’m going to piggy back on this thread. My d3g cfc00446 just started pushing to the right when tracking. Also when I’m tracking the parking light will come on along with the warning light. Usually if I flip park on and off it will go away. The light has been happening since I put duo cone seal in right final. The tracking issue just started today.

  5. #5Nige2020-03-31 15:47

    As Tyler suggested, first thing is to check park brake release pressure. Next is to leave the pressure gauge connected and start working the machine, all the while keeping a close eye on the gauge, especially when the machine starts acting up. Smalls - best thing you could do first up is to get the hydrostat recalibrated, BUT only after doing some regular PM chores such as changing hystat oil and filters and see whether that has any effect. Make sure you use the right oil. You do have an O&M Manual with the oil specs in it I hope..?