Hi new owner here of a d4d 83j series dozer. Dozer has single spool hydraulic system and was wondering what would I need to do convert it to a 2 or 3 spool valve system. Also would a d5b 8ft strait blade with tilt would work on this dozer? Currently has 10ft angle blade thanks.
On my 83j the main valve (raise/lower) is located inside the hydraulic tank. It activates by a series of levers. You need to remove and split the tank to get to the valve. Tank has a ton of ports. The tilt valve is seperate and mounted right at the control. Except short hoses to allow movement everything is hard line with Cat style flanges. To do what you are talking would be a huge undertaking. Basically need to make a new system.
What is the serial number on your hyd. tank? Bob
Serial number 62g17698
Would it be easier to replace the current system with another with external valves?
Measure the center-to-center on the pivot trunnion on the blade arms. If those are close, it should work. The other hurdle is where the hydraulic cylinders connect to the blade, but if push comes to shove, you should be able to cut them off and reweld them back onto the blade in a position that suits the D4 cyilinders. As long as the main trunnion piviots fit the machine, you can make the rest work. I wouldn't dis the angle blade too soon though. For snowplowing or road clearing it is invaluable. If it's too floppy you just need to get the pins redone. I'll have to look again, but my dad on our forever-apart-83j-d4-project had positioned a second spool near the main blade lift to add hydraulic tilt. I'll have to ask him how he planned to tap into the pump input.
A 2 or 3 valve system uses the same tank just adds external valves, controls and lines . Your best bet would be find a scrapped tractor with the 2 or 3 valve system on it. Good luck Bob
Thanks for replys
I mainly want to put a straight blade on for having tilt option too grub out mesquite trees
Then why not fit tilt cylinders (2) on your angle blade and a electric over hydraulic change over valve on the blade control??? It's pretty simple.
I thought of that but didn't think the angle blade would handle much abuse. But sounds like it would be the easiest to do.
You need 2 rams to replace the 2 turn buckles, 1 ram on it's own won't work. Angle blades are every bit as strong as a bullblade on tractors that size.
Your other option is to look for a brush rake. They either come as a unit that pins onto the c-frame or slips over the dozer blade.
I have a brush rake for it it does well in sandy land but for not for clay soils
hflbz, Did you end up modifying your hydraulics? I am in exactly the same situation, single spool D4D and would like to add an extra control (mainly for tilt blade). I like the idea of electric over hydraulic that was mentioned by Tones. Curious if you progressed at all with your machine.
Need a new hydraulic pump for D4D 83j1578, vane type. Anyone know where to look for one?
They are just a common vickers vane pump.
On that tractor the implement pump will be part of the hydraulic control. Can you find a Serial Number plate on the hydraulic tank.?