I'm new at the forum so humor me if I post in the wrong place. Hopefully someone will help me out if I'm wrong. I just replaced both sprockets on a 1967 D4D that I recently purchased. Heres the problem. When its under load I hear some noise somewhat like when tracks are loose and the sprocket rjumps indide the chain. Well the sprockets are fine and the chain are tight. The noise appears inside the final drive. When I pull the right steering clutch and the left sprocket is under load dozer it is much worse. turning left is fine. Has any one had a problem like that and what was the solution? Thanks a lot, snoball
i dont have a clue i have heard of people putting the tracks on backwards mabe check that
Drain the final drives and check for broken teeth when you get them drained,probably a bullgear has a tooth or more missing!
d4 I agree with the draining the oil and checking for metal. How are the rails, if they are worn real bad, they may want to jump. Last but not least, are you sure you have the correct sprockets for the rails. Keep us posted
Thanks for those of you who have replied. I did drain the oil and haven't found any metal but its still possible that there could . I tend to thjink so also about the bull gear. Can the bull geAR BE TAKEN OUT WITHOUT REMOVING THE SPROCKET? Another person talked about the right sprocket for the dozer and they are the right ones. What do you mean about the rails that could cause it to jump. Would that effect the noise inside the final drive? Thank for you suggestions. I welcome all. Snoball
is probably not replaceable w/o sprocket removal some of the larger tractors you could remove the case w/o yanking the sprocket but i think it would be easiest to pull it.dig around in the case through the drain hole with a magnet see if you can get anything to fall out.one more thing it seem like you could see the bull gear through the filler hole on some models so if u can have someone move the tractor while u look for missing teeth.
If the sprocket was the weld on rim style, they can pop or jump if they are not lined up properly when they are welded. New sprockets w/ old chains could be throwing the pitch off and your teeth are not wanting to grab your chains in the proper place. If this is happening they will eventually wear in.
Thanks bobin for all your input. It is very much appreciated. Up here in Nothern Maine its become to cold to work outside. Being that I don't have a Garage its going to wait till spring and I'll get in touch with you again. Later snoball
Thank QuickTrax. They are not weld on rims and everything lines up good. I had someone watch as I pushed and the noise is deffiniately inside the case. Ther weather has caught up with me here in northern Maine and being that i don't have a garage I'll be putting it off till spring. I'll let you know as soon as I can get back to it.m Merry Christmas, snoball