Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D4d special application questions/help

Hamslammer 13 · 2024-06-02 10:23

Yesterday at 10:52 PM Hello new to forums and Looking to find out more info about about this dozer. I am looking to buy it and trying to find out exactly what year it is. I know it was between 1963 and 78 I think but idk and I don’t have a good pic of the serial number. I what wondering about a few other things like what dose nwm mean? Is the blade is it a aftermarket blade? Why dos it have a John deer cylinder? just more info in general about the d4d and what all different options they came with looking for the dozer guru Thanks Hamslammer13

Replies10
  1. #1Old Magnet2024-06-02 11:49

    The Special Application Series of that era would be a 84Jxxxx s/n. Built from 68 to 78. The blade appears to be a shop built unit patterned after the Holt style blade. How is the "nwm" designation applied?

  2. #2Hamslammer 132024-06-02 12:14

    It is cut in to the metal. Why would it have a John deer lift cylinders

  3. #3Nige2024-06-02 12:18

    Cylinders re-sealed by a John Deere dealer hydraulic shop at some time.?

  4. #4Hamslammer 132024-06-02 12:29

    okay that makes sense given where it was originally from. any ideas on why the blade function is ran off the one of the auxiliary lines off the back?

  5. #5Old Magnet2024-06-02 12:51

    Running the blade off the rear hydraulics is typical for an add on blade that doesn't have the original hydraulic pump installation. How about North West Mfg. for the NWM?. Hydraulic cylinders could come off most anything that fits the application.

  6. #6Hamslammer 132024-06-02 13:19

    Yeah north west machinery was what was thinking mfg is a good thought thanks. so it’s a ag tractor with a dozer add on? How much do you guy think it’s worth? as far as I know runs drives works few minor leaks needs batteries and has not ran for about 10 years. The guy that has it is the 2nd owner. I am hoping to get a pic of the serial number so I can find out exactly what it is and what it’s worth

  7. #7Hamslammer 132024-06-03 22:40

    Update I got the number

  8. #8Tugger22024-06-03 22:59

    Looks to me like an Agriculture tractor build for drawbar work with an add on blade. It probably has more hydraulics on it than you need for a dozer. Those short levers on the valve bank might be a bit tedious for blade work but im not sure what your up to with it. The cylinders look like what we used call up here" Monarch" tie rod type cylinders . They were an economy cylinder for all kinds of uses .Maybe the JD dealer supplied them.

  9. #9Hamslammer 132024-06-03 23:13

    Thanks for the info I plan on buying it to use to push a little dirt on the property any idea on what it’s roughly worth?

  10. #10JaredV2024-06-04 02:11

    Don't ag tractors have the front idler up higher than a regular cat that makes the machine harder to hold a grade pushing with a blade? Or so I've heard. Also seems like I've heard it's a fairly simple matter of flipping some parts to lower it, after you split the tracks, of course.