Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Strange starting with my D6N

Shimmy1 · 2024-06-02 02:10

2005 D6N. ALY01509 It happened once before, last summer after it had sat about a month. Went to start, and had to crank for about 30 seconds, got a bunch of fuel smoke and it stumbled and missed kind of like it was flooded. Finally started and ran fine. Never noticed any change in oil level. This afternoon, went to start after it's sat for over 2 months. Checked oil, first thing I noticed is it was about a half gallon or better over full. Coolant was fine as well. Went to crank, spun a little and acted kind of like batteries were low. Tried it again, same. Then it took off spinning, and I let up after about 5 seconds because it should have started. Cranked again, stuck with it and it did the same as last summer, lots of fuel smoke, no fire for at least ten seconds, then slowly started to come around and finally lit. Runs fine, no smoke. Pulled it into the shop, grabbed an oil sample and dumped the rest. New oil, filter, and grease job and put it to work this evening for about 4 hours. Everything seems fine. Can these HEUI injectors leak fuel into the cylinder if they stop in just the right spot? I don't believe it would have cranked up if it had been hydro-locked? Hopefully the oil sample comes back normal and it was just overfilled by someone not paying attention.

Replies6
  1. #1Shimmy12024-06-02 09:13

    I can't imagine it would matter, but both times this has happened, I had left the battery disconnect switch on. I have left it on other times, but not for extended periods like a month.

  2. #2Mobiltech2024-06-02 09:54

    Sounds like an injector that’s dripping or not seating. The other possibility would be the transfer pump shaft seals leaking into the back of the heui pump but that’s rare.

  3. #3Shimmy12024-06-02 18:15

    @Nige

  4. #4Tones2024-06-02 18:49

    He maybe getting over the bike racing

  5. #5Shimmy12024-06-02 18:54

    He was responding to other threads

  6. #6Shimmy12024-06-25 22:21

    Mystery solved I guess. Excessive water in the oil, negative for glycol. We had a terrible rainy spring, and the machine sat without being started for over 2 months. I've never had this problem with a machine before, but the design of the exhaust under the hood provides a direct path for water into the engine. I have since started putting a bucket over the exhaust since it hasn't stopped raining every other day yet.