Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D4D Steering Clutch

pjflyer ยท 2024-10-20 10:08

I believe it's a direct drive. I didn't confirm, but number written in the book S.N. 78A 5182. Got it a few years ago and didn't use it last year. I fired it up yesterday just to move it around and I have a problem with the left side. Right side seems ok. Left, after I pull back the lever about half way, I get a "pop" and the tension releases. The handle pulls back all the way but nothing there. I can tell it isn't working, when I step on the brake pedal it labors the engine. I pulled the adjustment panel and the linkage seems to be moving. I didn't know if something was stuck from sitting or if I have to tear into it further, possibly a rebuild. I know it's a PITA to tear down completely. Just wondering if while trying what's letting loose. Thanks.

Replies1
  1. #1pjflyer2024-11-22 10:42

    Solved. Finally had time to look at it closer. Needed adjustment. Took the battery box off to get to the cover for better access to linkage. Clutch adjustment was loose and got it corrected. The "pop" was the helper spring as the linkage went beyond center.