Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D4D transmission flush

texaschad25 ยท 2015-01-07 01:11

My newly purchased D4D sat for several years before I brought it home. As soon as I got it home, I checked the fluids and noticed that the transmission oil was milky white. When I drain this oil, is there anything that you would recommend to run thru it to clean the transmission before adding the new oil? Also, what kind of oil should I add back into it? I've seen several articles where people run SAE30, but I want to make sure I run the right stuff. One more thing...is there a filter in this transmission, and if so, where might it be located? Thanks for your time. 1974 D4D 82J4040

Replies3
  1. #1Old Magnet2015-01-07 02:44

    Original specification is SAE30 in crankcase, transmission & bevel gear and flywheel clutch. Steering clutches are dry. There is no filter for the DD transmission. Although a steering clutch compartment wash is recommended there is no recommendation for flushing the transmission. That being said it is not uncommon to make use of a diesel fuel flush. Be sure to check and clean the oil clutch suction strainer. Engine....5 gallons Trans & Bevel Gear case.....6 gallons Flywheel clutch.....2.25 gallons Finals....2.5 gallons each. Check engine oil level with engine running. Check transmission level with engine stopped.

  2. #28k bill2015-01-07 03:21

    Hello again texaschad25, I'd recommend getting a workshop repair manual and parts book, lubrication and maint booklet in there and shows where all the oils and filters are. Plenty on EBAY. Bill.

  3. #3texaschad252015-01-08 19:53

    Thanks for the info, Magnet. I'm going to wait a few days for the weather to warm up before i change the fluids. Very helpful info that you provided, and i really appreciate it. I agree Bill, the manuals are definitely on the "to buy" list. Again, thank y'all for the help!