Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D6R XW Blowing Oil out blow-by

02Dmax ยท 2010-08-17 21:58

This company I do some work for has had this 6R for amost 2 years now and when it gets hot outside it likes to blow oil out the blowby tube. Actual engine temperature doesn't seem to have any bearing on it. It will never do it if the ambient air temp. is less than 50 or 55 but the hotter it gets the more it does it. Its been hovering around 95 to 105 around here for the last 2 months pretty much so its been doin it alot. The local CAT dealers "fix" was to run the blowby tube out in front of the radiator and through the grill pointing down. Needless to say I nor the dozer owner was impressed. Any ideas?

Replies10
  1. #1Kman90902010-08-17 23:12

    who you work for?

  2. #202Dmax2010-08-17 23:31

    I own my own repair company and work on heavy equipment and over-the-road trucks. 95% of my work is out of my service truck so you can guess what I work on the most.

  3. #3John C.2010-08-18 20:00

    It sounds like the thermostat isn't working at all because the engine coolant temperature should stay at that temperature no matter what the ambient temp. I'd probably confirm with an infrared thermometer how hot the coolant is at the bottom of the radiator and at the bottom of the thermostat housing. High crankcase pressure is almost always a problem with pistons, rings and liners but I have heard a couple of times of people saying the turbo chargers were the source of the problem. Good Luck!

  4. #402Dmax2010-08-18 20:05

    Thanks John C. We've checked the engine temperature when its 100 out side and when its 10 below and theres only about 10 degrees difference in the coolant temp. The turbo was my first thought also but usually that does it all the time, not just sometimes. I may take it apart and check that sealing ring just for good measure though.

  5. #502Dmax2010-08-18 20:07

    I guess I should also add that its a C9.

  6. #6SE-Ia Cowman2010-08-19 23:11

    I am not an expert but I think the C9 is a heaping pile of junk. I know a guy that bought a new D6t and it had so much blowby there was always oil dripping out from under the radatior were the pipe is routed. He made cat tare it down and they couldnt find anything wrong. My boss has had 2 machines with C9s and they both used oil and had blowby but not enugh to have oil drip out the tube. I also know a farmer with a chalenger with a c9 and it uses oil 3qt per 12hr. All of these machines have less than 4000hrs and 2 of them are under 1500 hrs that makes me think the c9 is junk not to mention the 18 injectors we put in one machine in 9 months.

  7. #702Dmax2010-08-20 22:14

    hmmm, I've never heard anyuthing bad about them except this one but I'm not around very many of them. I know of a couple 330's with C9's that have no problems but that doesn't mean they won't, thanks for the input.

  8. #8Dozer12010-08-20 23:23

    We have a D6T with a C9 it doesn't have a blow by problem but we did have to replace an injector. We also had some brake issues but cat has stood behind everything.

  9. #9Kman90902010-08-21 00:29

    we have 5 brand new dozers all with C9's amd not one problem!

  10. #10daman2010-08-21 07:53

    Do a compression test warm/hot,sounds like engines wore out time for a rebuild.