I just purchased this dozer. It runs great for about an hour. Then stops pulling. I've checked the transmission fluid temp and it is getting around 240-250. Cooler lines are staying around 125. It does not appear to have any flow to the cooler. I had Yancey (cat dealer) take a look at it. $4000. changed fluid, filter, and installed new resonator valve assembly. No change. I bought my own gauges and checked pressure on torque convertor relief valve. cold start it was around 100psi then steadied out around 55. After about 30 minutes fluid was at 150 degree and pressure was down to 25psi. As temp reached 200 F pressure dropped to 5-10 this was at high idle in neutral. Any suggestions. I have not pulled the pump screen. I am going to try and do that tomorrow.
Welcome,when it stopes pulling does the driveshaft stop spinning?
I did not have the floor pan off when it stopped pulling and today I didn't run it hot enough to make it stop pulling. I would have to run it again to answer that question.
Did it stop pulling in all gears
yes. it felt like it was dragging then stopped pulling. Would not move in any gear until it cooled off. Engine RPM did not seem to drop any while sitting still in gear.
I had a Bobcat do that years ago. Found that the main hydraulic drive pump was wore out. The internal pump parts were warn to the point that it allowed the oil to blow past the pistons thus creating heat. The unit would heat up to the point that it wouldn't drive.
.pull the magnetic strainer and check it I had a 6H do that and the steering clutches and brakes were coming apart it would run for wile then plug up again also is there a difference in temp from one side to the other on the cooler also did you check main pressure
I was going to pull the screen today. Do you have to drain all the fluid before pulling the screen?
Unless you want most of the powertrain oil to land on your head when you pull the screen, it is highly recommended.
Cat dealer contacted me today and offered for me to return it to the shop and they would figure out what is going on at no additional cost. With the holidays it may be alittle while. I will advise what they find. I figure that is alot better than me fiddling my way through it. Thanks for the comments.
Got Dozer back Friday and ran for about 8 hrs over the weekend pushing dirt. Ran fine and temps stayed down. Issue was a worn out transmission pump. Gears were worn badly and had some deep scaring in the housing. As soon as the transmission fluid got warm and thinned out the pump would not build enough pressure to feed the torque convertor. Then with nothing going to the cooler it wasn't long before it overheated. All is good now. Thanks for you help and responses on here.
It may pay you to put a cleanout filter element in the transmission for a while. The worn pump will have been generating particles and it would be a good idea to get them out of the system before they can potentially do any more damage. The Part Number is 132-8875. If it plugs within a few hours, replace it with another one of the same Part Number. When 132-8875 will go 50 hours without plugging you could revert back to the standard 1R-0719 element.