I dont know what to call them but front and back of main beam where bottom rollers are mounted are guards. They are on the inside and outside of the undercarraige. One of them is missing. How important are these guards? I was looking at some older JD 450g's and they had a long guard from front to back. Looked like it would keep dirt and rocks out but also hold stuff in. I am new to dozers. Thanks lobo
they stop debrie from getting inside the links and being crushed againts the sprocket i never use them
Well that already makes me feel better. Did not look like they where needed. Talked to the guy I bought it from. He said loggers like them because of when doing extream work they help hold tracks on. Especially if track are a little worn. I bought this dozer a month ago and I was getting tired of fixxing things. If I can run, he said especially just in dirt, I would be OK. Good machine I just did not realize how much work in taking off all panels and belly plates (2) I found. Pressure wash, clean and lubricate, maintenence there was to do. He also said cat does not use these rock guards.
you can get guards on the cats but there only for protecting the rollers. to keep your track on keep it nice and snug and i do all sorts of land clearing jobs and work in quarrys and just about anything that you use a dozer for and no problems
Chain guides are suppose to come as standard equipment. Full length rock guards as called were an option. Good for keep big stuff out but bad for sometimes packing dirt around the rollers causing extra wear..
The short rock guards like on this tractor would seem to deflect rock and dirt away from rear sprocket. Probabley not a bad thing. The one that is missing still has piece left on the inside that is now loose and rocking side to side. Tried to take bolt out that is holding it in place, too tight. I will get under there with torch and notch out a little piece of metal to remove this back plate. That will not damage anything and I will not have to cut head off of bolt. After I start running her for awhile I can watch both sides to see if there is alot of extra rock and dirt getting to sprocket. What would a shop charge to install new rock guard? Thanks