Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D55s komatsu dozer shovel

Chris Prospector ยท 2023-07-13 01:30

D55s komatsu dozer shovel. Trying to source replacement sprockets for the old girl. Part no 135-27-12420. Wondering if there is a weld on replacement even?

Replies4
  1. #1Welder Dave2023-07-13 02:38

    Probably need to check with undercarriage suppliers or manufacturers. Not sure who you have in Australia.

  2. #2Chris Prospector2023-07-14 01:47

    Cheers Dave, running into blanks with track spares and the like so far. A couple sites online from China still list them. I have sent an enquiry to them. I may be able to get some cat weld on flanges for bolt on segments, just not sure if I would require changing chains and grousers as well.

  3. #3Chris Prospector2023-07-14 01:49

    DAVE YOU MAY KNOW. Is it a problem welding to cast steel as that's what the existing sprockets are made from.

  4. #4Welder Dave2023-07-14 02:49

    No, cast steel welds pretty much like standard steel plate. A little preheat helps and use 7018. Measure and tack carefully to make sure the sprocket rims are straight. Clamp the ground clamp on the sprocket rim or hub you're welding so the current doesn't go through any bearings or other components. You should put a bevel on both the rim and the hub. I think you'd have better luck with just weld on sprocket rims. Less money for a low use machine. Not sure if Cat has sprockets the same pitch as your chain. If the chains have quite a bit of wear will wear sprockets faster and vice/versa. I wouldn't think it would be so hard to find undercarriage parts for your machine.