Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D5G transmission warning light comes on, movement stopped.

North C ยท 2024-12-07 12:00

Maybe I am typing in the wrong place. I have a CAt D5G, serial #0FDH00780, I removed a hydraulic cylinder on the ripper, had it repaired replaced it and now the machine gives this warning light, travels a short distance, and abruptly stops. At times there is also a warning sound. After a moment the light goes off and the machine can be moved again. All other systems seem to work fine. Can an overfill of the hydraulic oil tank cause this? The sight glass is very cloudy so I can't really see how much oil is in the tank. I did add some after removing the cylinder What is the solution?

Replies3
  1. #1Nige2024-12-07 12:24

    Unlikely. You really need to fix that if you have no idea how much oil is in the tank. A lot of expensive damage could be done to a hydrostatic drive like yours for lack of oil. Some diagnostics appear to be called for. I take it you are talking about indicator #5.? See the attached document that shows how to pull Diagnostic Codes from the machine. Come back with any questions or a list of Codes once you have them.

  2. #2North C2024-12-07 14:16

    Thanks for the reply. Problem, I don't know how to repair the sight glass problem or I would fix it. Getting back to the indicator problem and the light coming on. After I reinstalled the cylinder this immediately happened at engine start-up. The machine had been performing just fine up till then. I suppose some air entered the system during this repair and removal of the cylinder. Is it possible that the system just needs to work out some air. It may travel 100' and stop as the light comes on, and in a moment with leaving the engine running it goes off and will travel another 100' or so. Truly has me buffaloed.

  3. #3Nige2024-12-07 14:49

    It will likely require the tank to be disassembled to get access to replace the sight glass. See the attached parts list. It looks like the access has to be in through the 8-bolt cover that holds the suction screen in place. For now why not go back to the old tried & tested method of using a dipstick.? There is a filler cap in the top of the tank you can use. Get the tape measure out and you should be able to at least be able to determine approximately where the oil level is in the tank. TBH unless the oil level is way out (and you need to find out one way or the other) then this is likely a coincidence, but you need to at least get some idea of the actual oil level before moving forward. As I said in my first reply, make sure the oil level is correct then get into the electronics and find out what Active Diagnostic Codes you have. It's only a 5 minute job and isn't difficult. The fact that you have a warning light and (at times) an audible alarm means that something in the electronic monitor system isn't happy........