Hey guys, I have a problem with my dozer I was hoping someone has encountered before. As I'm running it will stop abruptly and the exclamation point will come on then the parking break will set. If I shut the machine off and turn it back on it runs fine again. Sometimes it won't do this all day and sometimes it does it all the time. I did have some electrical problems with it also that I thought I had resolved but the other day when I was running at night I noticed the lights were pulsing. It only did it with the machine running so something is going on with the alternator. Not sure if that can have something to do with it or not. Any help or advice is really appreciated.
Parking brake switch electrical contacts are the first place I'd look. The park brake switch is famous for throwing "Wobblers" from time to time. Regarding the pulsing lights maybe the regulator/rectifier package in your alternator is dodgy. Did you touch the alternator at all when you were repairing your electrical problems..? TBH I would try to fix the 2nd problem first, it may fix the 1st one at the same time.
We did have the alternator rebuilt, after it was rebuilt it was still not charging and after bringing it back and getting it tested I replaced the plug on the tractor side and then kind of jammed it in there and it began charging. The reason I thought it may not be just the brake switch is because the exclamation light comes in momentarily before the parking brake sets itself. Seems like whatever sensor sets off that light with the exclamation point with the gear around it is what's faulty.
It sounds as though you still have a charging issue. I'm not sure I like the sound of "kind of jammed it in there". If you have variable voltage issues this could easily affect the operation of the electronic side if the monitor system. I'll give you more info about your warning light later.
Yea, I'm going to put a tester on it today and see exactly what kind of readings I'm getting and go from there.
The warning light is any sort of issue in the Hydrostatic ECM (powertrain control). I think you definitely need to correct your fluctuating voltage problem before going further with the park brake/warning light for the reasons I mentioned above.
As usual look for any ground straps broken or loose also.
Got it figured out. The voltage regulator in the alternator was bad, it was pushing high voltage, throwing and alarm and making the dozer stop.
So I assume you have had "words" with whoever rebuilt the alternator the last time........? If it was pushing out too much voltage I suggest that you check your battery acid level sooner rather than later. The batteries could easily have been boiling.
Sounds like the alternator guy needs to think about a new career path.
Or maybe some one could "push some extra voltage to his.....!"