Hi all from New Zealand, Long time watcher, first time posting. Looking at purchasing a Cat D5H #3MD, that has outside pusher arms and a straight blade. Not really suited to what I'm after but like the 5H sized machines. My question is I have access to a wrecked D5H 3MD, can I take the inside c frame and 6 way blade, cylinders etc, off that and swap the blade configuration over? Looks like it would work ok mounting wise, but has anyone done it ? And any issues with more cylinder to run, presume valve bank the same, or would that need to be swapped over as well as lever in the cab etc. If I had 2 blade configuration it would make the machine very versatile, but need to know it can be swapped firstly as mostly do finishing work, and if so is it something that can be swapped around regularly or a one off. Cheers in advance
If they are both 3MD prefix it shouldn't be too difficult of a problem provided you get all the necessary bits off the parts machine to make the change. One thing I did not see on your list was the hydraulic control valve and probably some hard lines as well. The 6-way blade could have a couple more sections than a straight blade.
Thank you Nige. Appricate the information Cheers
If you have the two Serial Numbers I could compare the as-built cofiguration of one to the other and probably come up with a list of differences.
Hi Nige, the serial number for the machine being wrecked with the 6 way blade is 3MD05623. Will have the other machine number in the next day or two Cheers John
Machine with standard blade configuration and lookingbat purchasing is 3MD00715 Cheers John
Well this is unfortunate. There is no as built info in the system for 3MD00715 so that makes it impossible to do any sort of comparison. What I can tell you is that the 3MD prefix changed to a Series II machine from S/N 5595-up. So the 6523 S/.N is a Series II machine and the 715 is a Series I. Some things such as the main implement control valve the Part Numbers are different but it does appear that Series I Part Numbers do service to the equivalent Series II Part Numbers.
Ok thanks for the information Nige. What was the main difference between series I and series II? Just some component parts ? Do you still think it's doable project to convert ? Cheers
Sorry I don’t know. I was never involved with that size of machine. Maybe someone else knows. It might involve a little bit more out of the box thinking than if both the tractors had been the same Series, but in reality anything is doable if you put your mind to it.
Hi Nige, Thanks again for your information and help. Much appreciated Cheers John
John,the series 2 had a bigger input shaft in the transmission.
From what i could see, there´s a long list of diff between a series I and II D5H´s not so straight forward. Also from what i understood superstructure like components don´t differ much, one might find a pin with diff dia... Change a Straight blade to a PAT, is hard if your machine does not has the 3 way valve body. (it might have it) From memory u´ll need the complete U frame including lifting actuators; In the cab u need the 3 way handle assy; Also the 3 way valve body, if u have a ripper a 4 way valve body,(valve body can be built as add on units) Converting a PAT to straight is much forward and easy fix. Since u have access to donor machine shouldn´t be that hard to do. good luck
Thanks for the information Mquinista. Much appreciated Cheers John
Best advice I can give you is take a good look over both machines (this may involve removing some sheet metal) and go in there taking loads of photos. You'll probably take dozens. Then do a comparison between a photo of one machine with the corresponding photo of the other one. I'd say that will highlight 99% of the differences.
Yep good idea Nige Thanks John
Hello John, how are you getting on with the project? We look forward to seeing the photos.
Hi cat951b, Getting closer... inspected the straight blade machine and it looks do able. It has a 3 way valve body running a winch on the 3rd valve which I don't need so can use that for the angle. Just need to confirm some costs before I go ahead with the purchase Cheers
If u were closer i would be interested in the standard blade outfit from u... as PAT blades suck, there is almost nothing i can´t do in my needs with a standard outfit.
Please assist dozer D8T it saying implement disabled( implement lockout sol)
I suggest that you create a new thread. Click HERE for full instructions. When you do post, include a machine Serial Number and the reference number (490-3 maybe.?) for the Code that you see on the Monitor screen.