Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D5h serial number doesn’t match service/operator manual serial number

Dozer_Mark · 2022-04-15 21:52

Hello, new to posting but not new to finding useful answers on old forums. Can't find a firm answer on this one though. I recently bought a 1994 d5h lgp. I want to buy the big factory service manual for it. The manuals have a portion of the serial numbers on the front cover. For example the cover will say: "1DD1-UP" or "1DD4000-UP" or "1DD4000-99999" or "1DD1-3999." Other serial numbers are listed as well but for simplicity I'll use the 1DD serial numbers because that's what mine starts with. My question is why does the manual list 7 digit serial numbers? Shouldn't they be 8? My assumption is that after the DD there is an implied 0. My serial number is 1DD06082. If there isn't an implied 0 then I have a very early serial number which doesn't really fall in line with the year it was made. I found one manual on eBay with a serial number similar to mine hand written on the cover and the manual says "for 1DD4000-99999." Am I safe to assume that this mean it's for serial numbers 1DD04000-1DD99999? Long question short...what manual do I need for 1DD06082 serial number? It's a 1994 with cab+AC/heat. I would like a manual that shows wiring schematics and hopefully ac system schematic as well. I'm thinking the "1DD-UP or 1DD4000-99999" is the one I need because when I find something that shows a lower serial number its usually a manual from mid 1980's. Can anyone confirm? On that note, if anyone has one for sale I'm interested. Also, I can post on a different thread but does anyone have a schematic for the AC system? I can't figure out by looking at it if it requires r134a or the old r12. Thanks in advance! -Mark

Replies21
  1. #1Nige2022-04-15 22:47

    One or two simple answers to your questions. "1DD1-Up" means everything from first built. Cat do not use the zeros for manuals even though they might be on the PIN plate on your machine. "1DD4000-9999" is 1DD04000 to last built. Your particular tractor 1DD06082 was built on 23/06/1994. I assume that you are talking about an Operation & Maintenance Manual, the basic necessity for operating & maintaining your tractor. Would you like a genuine OEM pdf manual that you can download from Cat in 5 mins..? Go to - https://catpublications.com/ When the pop-up appears click on "Continue as Guest" Type SEBU6375 in the box and click Search. The illustration below should appear. Paper or CD attract S&H charges. A download is almost immediately available once paid for.

  2. #2Nige2022-04-15 22:53

    there should be a sticker either on the LH door jamb of the cab or the LH side of the dash panel stating the refrigerant type and charge weight. Machines from S/No 1DD6006-Up used R134a refrigerant ex-factory. Charge weight is 2.9 lb.

  3. #3Dozer_Mark2022-04-16 02:28

    Wow! thanks for the quick, helpful answers. Looks like my tractor barely made the cut for r134a...makes things easier. I'll look again for a sticker or placard in the places you mentioned but I haven't been able to find one. There's a couple that have all the text completely worn off. Its probably one of those. Do you by chance know why there isn't a high pressure switch on the back of the compressor? Looks like their should be. I really need to just find a diagram because the condenser fans don't kick on and there's some wires that have been cut and spliced. Ac system seems complete. Got a new condenser(old one was broken off at the refrigerant line and had leaked off all the refrigerant at some point) and going to try cleaning out the system and adding some refrigerant and see what happens. Thanks for the manual link. I was looking for a download. I want to buy the big service technician manual which the one I'm looking at (now that you've confirmed my serial number with the correct manual) on eBay is ~$350. I do all my own repairs so I figure this will come in handy eventually. Thanks again for the help... exactly what I needed to know.

  4. #4Dozer_Mark2022-04-16 02:31

    What do you mean by "ex-factory?"

  5. #5Cmark2022-04-16 03:05

    Ex-factory means how it left the factory, original equipment, etc. It's pretty easy to tell by looking at the A/C charging port style. Attached electrical schematic for your enhanced troubleshooting pleasure.

  6. #6Nige2022-04-16 10:22

    Let me put this out there right now. A complete genuine OEM Service Manual (Cat Publication reference SENR3250) for your particular tractor is priced at $915 in paper form and $640 on CD. It is not available for download AFAIK. There are manuals around from early 1DD-prefix tractors that are marked on the binder spine for "D5H Tractor Serial Number 1DD1-UP". These are from the time before the Series II tractors such as yours came on to the market. They are NOT guaranteed to be 100% suitable for your tractor. You should look for a "D5H & D5H Series II" Manual that may have "1DD4000-Up" on the spine of the binder. The key part is the "D5H Series II" in the title. If you are looking at anything second-hand in paper form on an online site the first question you have to ask the seller - "Is it complete.?". Each manual will have a contents page right at the front of the binder (photo below) that lists the indiviual documents that make up the manual. If there are 20 items on that list then there should be 20 documents in the binder, otherwise it is not complete. A complete Service Manual should contain large size fold-outs of both the hydraulic and the electrical schematic, and also a paper version of the Operation & Maintenance Manual.

  7. #7Dozer_Mark2022-04-16 17:13

    "Attached electrical schematic for your enhanced troubleshooting pleasure." Thanks! That's going to take some studying. Very useful. The manual I'm looking at comes with the fold out wiring schematics, not sure about hydraulic. It looks complete. Hard to tell 100% on the listing but it shows a cover page like you (Nige) posted and the associated tabs. The one I have in my cart is $350 and is the only one on eBay that covers series II tractors. The others all just say d5h but have the same SENR3250 part number. The one that says series II has updated schematics for the later date tractors. I better jump on that manual. Even if it's missing a little, $350 for a $900+ manual seems logical. Im not new to dozers or doing my own repairs. Just new to the H series. I've owned and operated and done all sorts of repairs to my good ol' td7e, but thats a much older, simpler tractor. I appreciate the help guys. I'll take and post some pics and see what the expert opinions are. Extremely helpful thanks again.

  8. #8Dozer_Mark2022-04-16 17:19

    The listing for that manual states: "THIS MANUAL IS IN VERY GOOD CONDITION. COVER AND EDGES SLIGHTLY SOILED, INSIDE IS LIKE NEW. ALMOST 100% COMPLETE, JUST MISSING THE OPERATION & MAINTENANCE MANUAL FOR SERIES 1 MACHINES. IN A CAT 3-POST BINDER. OVER 3 INCHES THICK. MANUAL FORM SENR3250, PUBLICATION SENR3252-06 (6th REVISION), PRINTED JULY 1992."

  9. #9Dozer_Mark2022-04-16 19:22

    What do you guys make of these pics? The pump has a high and low side cap. There's a pressure switch on the back but no wires going to it. You can see on the front view that the factory harness was cut and spliced into the compressor wires. Think I should put some freon in and see what happens? Maybe try to flush the system of dirt first?

  10. #10Dozer_Mark2022-04-16 19:25

    Also, anyone know what this thingamajigger on the dash is? Some sort of electronic maintenance log or manual is what info I've found but can't seem to access it.

  11. #11Nige2022-04-16 20:44

    Well you don't need that since your machine is a Series II. It would be nice if it had a Series II O&M in it though. If it has then it saves you $57 + S&H.

  12. #12Dozer_Mark2022-04-16 21:31

    Nige, yep it comes with the series II O&M that covers lgp and xl models. I don't know what the difference between series I and series II is. My tractor doesn't have series II decals anywhere on it but it seems to have all the stuff a series II machine has. I think some dealers just built them with the updates and left the model name alone. The fact that it is lgp (which I believe was only available in the later models) probably implies that it's a "series II." I went ahead and ordered the manual.

  13. #13Nige2022-04-16 21:40

    Yours is a Series II. Might not have decals that say so but it is. It's right there on the cover of the book. Series II is any machine from S/N 1DD4000-Up. (Series I was machines 1DD1-3999)

  14. #14Cmark2022-04-16 22:41

    Those are R134a A/C fittings. It's a shame the pressure switch has been bypassed. That would protect the compressor if there was a gas leak. The thing on the dash is a Cat GPS transmitter.

  15. #15nicky 68a2022-04-17 03:51

    I’m a fan of the 1DD lgp D5’s. I had a series 2 1994 model I think it was. If I recall,the main difference in series 1 and 2 tractors was a larger input shaft in the tranny. In your parts book,you will see various different types of decals available and the location you fit them. These little tractors punch well above their weight. Good purchase in my opinion

  16. #16Dozer_Mark2022-04-19 21:01

    Good to know, thanks for confirming! Any idea why anyone would bypass the high pressure switch? They also cut the wiring in the condenser box and spliced motor wires in.

  17. #17Dozer_Mark2022-04-19 21:28

    Thanks! I'm happy with the purchase so far. I'm normally running a 2012 d6k so this is definitely not as fancy but for a third the price and no emissions I think I did well. I'm used to that 6k throttling up and getting louder when I put a heavy load on the blade because of the load sensing tech. This one kinda grunts and slows down and pushes hard. It's impressed me already with what it will push...

  18. #18Dozer_Mark2022-04-19 21:30
  19. #19nicky 68a2022-04-21 02:42

    That’s a really nice looking tractor Dozer Mark. Those rippers are handy

  20. #20Nige2022-04-21 08:45

    I think someone has had issues and never bothered trying to repair them properly. What you are confronted with now is their idea of a “fix” and you have to figure out how to unravel it to get the system working the way it’s supposed to.

  21. #2156wrench2022-04-21 09:18

    Be aware that a/c systems have a certain amount of refrigerant oil circulating at all times when operating which will be lost if a complete system flush is done. When changing various components, each requires a specific amount of refrigerant oil to be added into the component before installation. You will need to replace the receiver/dryer—it will be no good if the system has been left open. After the system has been repaired and before recharging, it will have to be evacuated properly and checked to see if it will hold a vacuum. Proper a/c service and repair takes time and some special tools to have a system that operates properly. There are a lot of ‘field’ fixes that may only work temporarily and could cause problems later on. It depends how much you want to spend and how bad you need a/c