Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D5H still down!

farmin · 2022-08-07 20:07

Follow up from: d5h trans/pump cont. My dozer broke a hard line in the trans end of march. With help from many on here i found the problem. Cat got the part within a day or 2 but had to request the special "swedging tool" from Peoria Headquarter which was supposed to be 2 weeks. Well it took over 2 months ok fine i get it. They get the tool and it doesn't fit for this application. Now they have resorted to requesting the tooling manufacture to make a new tool to fit this application. They have no idea on an ETA. This is my only dozer and have several jobs to do yet this summer/fall. I am not sure what to do! I need something i can pin my rake on so a rental doesn't really help. Contemplating buying a machine but i hate too as well. I know another poster on here had his D4 fixed with same problem wonder if i could get ahold of his dealer to question. IDEAS?

Replies6
  1. #1Dave Neubert2022-08-07 20:39

    Is there a way you could weld fittings in and use a hyd. hose

  2. #2farmin2022-08-07 22:56

    The line runs within the trans case but where it exits on either end there is valves that bolt right to case I would assume using a gasket and that it all that seals it. I should run down to the cat shop this week and take a look at it. See if I maybe can’t tig weld it because this is getting ridiculous .

  3. #3Tyler d4c2022-08-07 23:25

    Like you said put the libe in and tig it or you could possible thread where it goes and make up a line

  4. #4Nige2022-08-08 04:55

    If your dealer cannot get hold of the correct tube expander tool in a timely manner, tell them to look at Cat Reuse & Salvage Guideline SEBF8147 titled "Replacing Tubes in Housings that are installed with Mechanical Joints". This document contains the necessary instructions to repair or replace a tiube that was originally installed with an expander tool using a welding procedure. In your case because the tube is being replaced with a new one the procedure is more straightforward than a repair. Effectively it needs a couple of short lengths of thick-walled pipe that are a reasonably tight sliding fit over the outside diameter of the new tube to form a collar. Slide a length of pipe over each end of the new tube and install the tube in the rear case. The collars get arc-welded to the case at their inner end then silver-soldered or TIG-welded to the new tube at the outer end. See sketch below.

  5. #5Tyler d4c2022-08-08 06:31

    Nige next time I'm at the cat shop I'm going to have them print that out for future reference

  6. #6farmin2022-08-08 07:54

    Thank you nige and everyone! This is extremely helpful!