Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D5k2 valve train

nowing75 · 2018-07-18 10:16

I have a D5K to with the C 4.4 it has a slight tick to it got the valve cover off I see that there is no adjustment I have a couple exhaust valves that have about .020 was curious with guys that had worked on these what they were finding also there is some plastic clips on top of the spring and half of them are missing but they do not show up in the Parts book. Sn kyy

Replies14
  1. #1ih1002018-07-18 12:47

    Hydraulic followers. They pump up when the engine is running but can relax after a time when the engine is stopped for a bit. The plastic clips were fitted to aid assembly after a run of valve train failures due to incorrect assembly. If the valve stems are sitting correctly in the rocker cups the clips don't matter, but if you ever strip one of these heads, be very careful to ensure the rockers are fitted correctly or it's good bye valve train. Another thing with these engines is keep on top of the oil changes and use good oil. These hydraulic followers degrade the oil very quickly if you let them go over the service interval. You may find an oil change will quieten things down.

  2. #2nowing752018-07-18 13:25

    Thanks for the info. Sounds like a slight tick is probly the norm. Again thanks for the info

  3. #3nowing752018-07-18 16:01

    So I put it all back together I hooked cat Et to it and did the cylinder cut out test ran it twice both times the noise goes away when it cuts out number two cylinder I would think that wouldn’t have any affect on the valvetrain more likely piston slap or connecting rod.

  4. #4ih1002018-07-18 16:31

    Now you've done the cut-out test, I'd say it's more likely the injector. If it's leaking slightly or not closing cleanly you'll get a slight post-injection which can sound pretty similar. I doubt you're looking at a major engine tear-down, but don't Jake the injector change lightly either, if you go down that route, as it's a rocker shaft off job. Can't over emphasise to be careful when re-seating it onto the valves. How many hours on the unit?

  5. #5nowing752018-07-18 17:17

    4475. Ya I never figured to do the balance test as it sure sounded like top end noise. Sending sample in to see if that shows anything. Thanks again for the info.

  6. #6ih1002018-07-19 01:00

    No problem, pleased to be of help - if I'm right, that is.

  7. #7nowing752018-07-19 20:39

    I cut the filter apart today and found several specs about 20 or so shiny but non-metallic. Showed them to a friend of mine that builds a lot of race motors he was pretty sure it look like piston skirt looks like the motors coming apart. Tomarow

  8. #8ih1002018-07-20 00:34

    Can you get the use of a borescope? You won't see a damaged piston without a scuffed bore. Does it burn oil?

  9. #9Nige2018-07-20 04:11

    Might I suggest that you put new oil and a filter in it, run it for 50 hours then replace the filter, cut the old one and see what you get. Also do you have anything available like a microscope so you can take a look at the particles.

  10. #10nowing752018-07-20 19:20

    No it hasn’t been burning oil I think it’s only been a week or so since they overheat it it has 130 hours on the oil that I found the particles in

  11. #11nowing752018-07-20 19:21

    Looks like I might have omitted the overheat in the first post I thought I included that it lost the belt they tell me they didn’t run it very long afterwards but you know how that goes

  12. #12nowing752018-07-27 18:41

    Looks like we’re putting in a new motor cylinder walls are scuffed

  13. #13ih1002018-07-28 01:53

    That's a shame. What happened with the overheat? These are a gear driven water pump.

  14. #14nowing752018-07-30 17:02

    Lost the fan belt was told they shut it off right away but I guess not