Hi there, I have bought this dozer recently and have clicker box and manuals and am attempting to calibrate the machine, I'am sure I have the torque convertor model because when I go into mode 5 submode1 the application wont let me change it from 696 when it should be 697, it flashes up auto gear light on the right and the 3 gear lights on the left of the dash. How do the verify I have the torque convertor and not the direct drive,
The 7LR machine was built in Japan from 97 to 02. Unusually direct-drive and converter (powershift) options were available under the same S/N prefix. Post a photo of your steering/transmission controls. That will indicate what you have.
I got the plug out of the dash bets me why they would use this one. Can I simply rearrange the connections
A direct drive will have a clutch pedal I believe tho I've never seen a d5m direct drive that plug make the machine monitor know if it is a d5 d6. I once had a d5m thinking it was a 6 after I had replaced the ecm and the dealer loaded the wrong software.
Is this torque convertor
i believe you have a direct drive model
I believe you are correct. The pedal on the left is the clutch for the DD transmission. The weird thing is that none of the photos in the Operation & Maintenance Manual for the 7LR prefix D5M even show that pedal . So the Harness Code Plug in the photo is the correct one for the tractor and so is the Code shown on the Monitor Panel. As an aside I always advise thinking long and hard about doing calibrations on the EPTC for these tractors (D5, D6, D7 basically) unless you really know what you're doing . It's too easy to ***k things up.
Thanks Nige and Tyler. How does the clutch have to be used? when changing direction and also changing speed up and down.
I would’ve thought when moving off from a dead stand or when changing direction. I may be wrong in that though. Without any reference to the pedal in the OMM it’s difficult to be certain.
This is quite strange. Standard looking paddle-steer controls but with an extra left pedal. Is there a part number cast into the left pedal? Or can you take a photo of the workings under the floorboards?
The thing that has me foxed is the tag on the HCP with a handwritten label "PSDD". To me that translates as Powershift Direct Drive. ***.? The same PSDD terminology also appears on the electrical schematic SENR8492 which covers 5 models of D5M including the 7LR machine.
When the sun comes up in the morning I will get a photo under the floor, when I was looking through the calibration manual it showed submode 10 and 11 calibrating the inching pedal which I did calibrate, so thats what the pedal is called, cant find a manual online for the DD either
That's the clue. See below from the Service Manual. So basically you drive it like a normal powershift but with fine control at very low ground speeds. Very useful for starting off or for directional changes I would've thought. Inching Operation Note: The inching operation is only used on the D5M and D6R machines that have PSDD. When the inching pedal is pressed, the ECM decreases the pressure that is applied to the transmission directional clutch. This operation reduces the torque that is transferred from the transmission to the tracks. The inching function can be used to slow the speed of the machine. The inching operation prevents the engine from stalling when the load on the blade is sufficient enough to stop the motion of the machine. The inching pedal can also work as a brake pedal. In the last half of inching pedal travel, the brakes are applied. This operation will slow the machine. This operation will also keep the machine from rolling backward when the machine is inching up a slope. Note: Only partial brake capacity is available from the inching pedal. The service brake pedal must be used for full braking force
The dozer is smooth to operate between forward and backwards when you throttle down without pushing the pedal, so it really isnt a bad thing then, but gives a little bit more control especially with the hills and gullys we have here. Would the direct drive component have its own oil or run off the transmission oil supply is a major question I have
In the strictest sense of the word your tractor is NOT direct drive because it doesn't have a clutch hooked to the back of the flywheel. It drives through a torque converter just like all other powershift tractors. The inching function is totally electronic. If you read the SysOp above all the pedal does is electronically modulate the pressure to the transmission direction clutch to give finer control at very low ground speeds, so it will not have a separate oil system or reservoir.
Deere and Komatsu have used the inching pedals on their models for years. Deere in particular used a direct drive between the engine to a power shift transmission. As I recall the early Komatsu small dozers worked nearly the same. The inching pedal was used for fine control for working in very tight spaces, maybe around foundations and other concrete structures as an example. I would guess that this machine has no converter. PSDD I would guess stands for power shift direct drive. I would suppose that there is some kind of damper attached to the flywheel which attaches to a drive to the transmission input.
If it had no torque converter wouldn't the engine stall if the transmission was engaged without first depressing the left "clutch" pedal.?
The modulation in the transmission valve just soft shifts it into gear. Most would jump as they got old.You just got used to it.
well, not sure about this cat TXM design but deere farm tractors use a hydraulic actuated dry disk clutch for t/off and gear change on main GB , but then one can power reverse and shutle in the power shift secondary without using the pedal... it would mind to have dozer with this ... actually would be amazing...
Thanks everyone for your input and still learning something new everyday Cheers
One thing you need to be aware of is that the online parts manual for the 7LR machine is nowhere near to being complete, so if you go into a dealer they might struggle unless you cangive them an alternative. Even Cat Publications don't show a Parts Manual for it. To get parts you might have to use one of the similar D5M tractors that are listed on the electrical schematic. The nearest of those would appear to be the 6AS-prefix machine that was also built in Japan.
Wow,I had no idea direct drive modern tractors existed apart from a few SA machines. Whatever next,scraper winches,donkey engines or cabs?