I have an allied winch on my d5m that when you go to free spool it will completely unwind if allowed, thus far finding an adjustment for this has been fruitless. It is a W5B winch serial number is AW5BP5B1175C370. the one manual that is close shows nothing for an adjustment but that's for a hyster but looks very similar. Thanks in advance
That's kind of what free spool does. If I remember right it just releases the brake. Maybe there is more drag or stiction in the unwind clutch basket than the reel in side and the turning shaft imparts some torque to the drum. You could put the transmission in gear, to stall the converter and see if it is less likely to unwind but you'll only have until the winch accumulator is drained.
I expect free spool to allow it to unreel but I have a very hard time believing that Cat or Allied had total free spool in mind when they designed and built this. lol I can find in the W5C manual on how you increase drag on the C-series winch but this is a B-series and is not the same. Not using for logging full time but also don't want to fight with wrapped coils and having to hook it to a tree to get the line out every time I winch a few trees in.
i have something allmost like that on d5h cat winch i can put in nerual an pull off with four wheeler or can adjust to where it will spool off but wont have good pull or vise verse will have good pull not good reverse checked all linkages played adjustment a lot
I think I have the operators manual for it now, there appears to be a way to adjust it with shims on the drive side, the service manuals I can find don't have any reference to it but the operators manual states as such. I will contact allied and go from there. Now from what I can see and have heard DOZR your most likely in need of a rebuilt for your clutches if the clearances are that tight and weak pull power.
Which winch do you have on the d5h?
i have the 55ps on 5 h not bad clutches they were stuck to from like of use when i got it,pulled apart cleaned and resealed and put back togeater with rebuilt pump can not get new pump anymore say cat. like i said i can make it pull cable into an can pull off just cant get to reel out and pull hard too.