Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D6c

Steven Coons ยท 2018-10-27 19:12

I just bought a D6c dozer Serial Number 10k09369. Can anyone tell me what year it was made.

Replies25
  1. #1Steven Coons2018-10-27 19:15

    It is getting hot, The radiator is full of antifreeze. Could the problem be the thermostat?

  2. #2Rusted2018-10-27 20:35

    Build year 1973

  3. #3Steven Coons2018-10-27 20:50

    Thank you my friend

  4. #4Bluox2018-10-27 22:11

    Need more information to make WAG . Bob

  5. #5Steven Coons2018-10-27 22:32

    We just bought the D6c a couple of weeks ago. The first thing that happened was it blew out a hydraulic hose on the right side of the dozer. I replaced the hose and power washed the motor and the radiator. We started pushing down some trees and after a couple of hours I noticed the temp was up over 190. At the same time when I took it out of reverse and put it in forward it would not move. I ideled it down and let it cool down to around 160 and tried again and it started working again. I don't know why it is getting so hot.

  6. #6Bluox2018-10-27 23:27

    190 is not over heating but cooling off to160 Almost sounds like you don't have a thermostat and the not moving is another issue. Check the usual ,belts ,air flow thru radiator ,oil level in engine and transmission ,brakes dragging etc. Bob

  7. #7Steven Coons2018-10-28 00:33

    It did get up to 210 once and the transmission would not work in forward or reverse

  8. #8Bluox2018-10-28 01:23

    Pull the cap off a cold radiator and start motor ,see if water circulates in radiator . This checks for stuck open or no thermostat . Do you have a torque converter temp gauge? Bob

  9. #9Steven Coons2018-10-28 01:29

    I will check it in the morning. I do not have a torque converter temp gauge.

  10. #10Bluox2018-10-28 02:08

    You might want to pick up a handheld infrared thermometer, they can save a lot of time hunting heating problems . Bob

  11. #11Mobiltech2018-10-28 09:34

    I think you need to check the transmission temp first and find out why it stops moving.

  12. #12Steve.ahlgren852018-10-28 14:01

    You might want to check the radiator, make sure that it is not plugged with scale and other deposits!!

  13. #13catman132018-10-28 23:41

    check the radiator for bubbles with motor running, maybe head gasket problem.

  14. #14Steven Coons2018-10-29 19:11

    I checked the radiator when I started it up and there was no flow. I used it for a couple of hours and it was fine then the temp got up over 200 degree and the transmission started acting up again. I have a handheld infrared thermometer coming in and will check the transmission temp. Is there any other things that I can check?

  15. #15Puffie402018-10-29 20:39

    What's your transmission oil level?

  16. #16Steven Coons2018-10-29 20:42

    It is a little above full

  17. #17Dave Neubert2018-10-29 20:52

    check temp on radiator at top hose and bottom hose and see how much temp difference also check the in and out of the trans oil cooler

  18. #18Steven Coons2018-10-29 20:55

    OK Thanks

  19. #19Puffie402018-10-30 00:29

    It sounds like your cooling system is not working. Its either two problems: 1. Your radiator or cooling system is plugged 2. Your water pump is toast. This problem is likely related to the transmission issue, as the friction plates heat up, their grip will fade as well. There may be some wear issues factoring in as well, but lets focus on the cooling for now. I would first start by draining and flushing the cooling system. If a lot of crud comes out while draining the coolant, you need to do a thorough flush of the water jacket. When draining the radiator, be aware the cooling systems for these dozers are huge. Have four or five five-gallon buckets ready.

  20. #20Metalman 552018-10-30 06:33

    Here is an old thread where we were dealing with some cooling- rad cleaning issues on our D6C. HeavyEquipmentForums

  21. #21old-iron-habit2018-10-30 09:07

    Running or shut off? Your very first purchase should be a operators and maintenance manual. Read it.It will be the cheapest thing you ever buy for your Cat and it will save you some very serious coin by doing things right. Get original ones if at all possible. Check flea bay, a D6C one should be easy to find. Get the parts book also. Make sure the books cover your serial number.

  22. #22Nige2018-10-30 16:36

    Continuing from the post above, you can get a new manual downloaded from the web for less than $50. Some of the eBay sellers are really proud of theirs, must be extra for the greasy finger marks....

  23. #23Steven Coons2018-11-05 19:49

    Does anyone know the Decal location for a 1974 Caterpillar D6c?

  24. #24Shimmy12018-11-17 23:14

    Holy crap. Took over two years, but finally a post in a different thread. Sorry, couldn't resist.

  25. #25Steven Coons2018-12-12 17:19

    The cooling system is fine. After I run the Dozer for 3 or 4 hours and it works Great. After that when you shift it in forward or reverse it will not move. I let it idle for 10 minutes and it starts working again for little while. Does anyone know what the problem could be?