Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Td20g, I’m stumped

200lc1 ยท 2018-10-28 10:40

Hey all, been running in my, new to me, td20g clearing farm land, what a beast. Came across a few minor issues for the mature machine it is. First off, bought a chassis service and operators manual. Operators manual is good as expected, but the service manual leaves a lot to the imagination. Must be more manuals for it, than what I got, cause holy crap, barely more than useless in some areas of the machine. Anyways, had a few minor leaks around the transmission, mostly old hoses and orings, changed them, no problem, right? Now am losing prime on my transmission pump(I think) Takes about 20-30 seconds for the torque convertor to build enough pressure to start moving the machine in gear. This is after sitting over night. Afterwards it's good for the day, I know it can't be good for it, I will pull the stump pan again and check tighten everything, but was hoping for any insights. I know it's harder to seal for a vacuum than pressure, but no leaks makes this hard for me to troubleshoot. My torque convertor temp gauge seems to read lower than what I'd expect. What is the typical operating temp for these machines so I can bench test my temp sender. I can put in a mechanical gauge but would like to maintain the machines original gauge cluster if I can. One other notable problem I have is the, stinking, fan and alternator serpentine belts. I changed them, I made sure nothing was seized or tight, cleaned and degreased all the pulleys. Can't get it to stop squealing. Hate to over tighten them and cook a bearing. Can't get much past 5/8 throttle before it squeals regularly, usually these types of belts are reliable. Can't tell if only one or both are squealing, pain in the but to get to. Any advice, manual doesn't give a tension/deflection spec. I tightened them till I could deflect it with modest pressure, tighter than I'm comfortable with. Thanks for any advise, seems like this model isn't very popular, little discussion to be found anywhere.

Replies6
  1. #1brianbulldozer2018-10-28 13:54

    Fellow td20g owner here. There is a strainer at the pump inlet tube to check as well as the transmission suction filter. Oil level dipstick in the rear housing under the fuel tank? On a 90 degree day, pushing hard in first gear, my torque converter temp gauge never gets above the bottom of the green arc. I put a new serpentine belt on as well, can't get rid of the squeal every time the decelerator pedal is released. Can't seem to locate my service manual at the moment, will post some info on it when I do to compare to what you have.

  2. #2200lc12018-10-28 14:23

    Good to hear, thought I was alone. My torque temp is the same, was a little worried knowing how hard I was pushing with it, and push it does. I'll check the screen next chance, I assume the filter is in the r/h fender. It's going to probably sound bad, the machine was fully serviced by the logging contractor 2 years ago, then it sat unused because he bought a new machine. Fired up first rev, when I went to look and buy it this year. I basically went through and checked all the fluids and topped up as required, no evidence of contamination anywhere, so I just ran it. Wanted to see any problems before I invested much more. Would like to wear out some of that new oil before I change it. Thanks for anymore insights you may have

  3. #3John C.2018-10-28 16:24

    The reason bearings in alternators and such go bad is from loose alternator belts. If you machine has the spring type adjuster for the belt there isn't much you can do about. Figure it as a quirk of the machine I guess. I've never liked those things. Some actually make it dangerous to change the belt. I've not been around a G model but what you are describing on transmission pressure was pretty common on the older machines.

  4. #4200lc12018-10-28 20:38

    They are both threaded mechanical adjusters. I'm guessing it is the alternator belt, a weeny 5 rib belt. The fan belt is a more what you'd expect, quite a bit heavier. As far as the tranny, just worried about cavitating the pump too many times, I'm gentle with it till it primes. Funny today after 3 weeks sitting it was a fairly normal startup, only some air, maybe the angle it was parked at.

  5. #5DMiller2018-11-03 10:13

    As a side not, my machine was having issues with prime on the trans pump(is an Allis) so I bought replacement hoses locally, when went to start it back to work it would NOT prime, fought it for a few days then returned the old suction hose and drew a prime. Somehow somewhere in that new hose it was sucking air against the draw or lift requirement vacuum to gain prime(Pump is a High mount). Had a second new hose made at a different shop, no longer a issue.

  6. #6200lc12018-11-03 11:13

    I'm afraid that is probably the case. Unfortunately, I probably won't get a chance to look into this now for a few weeks. Winter is setting in and land clearing is slipping down the priority list. Thanks, I will update when I get into it again