Good evening, Currently have 2 D6c with final issues. 1 continued to push the dead axle outer nut off the threads, assuming because the holder wasn’t pressed into its taper well enough. Running it like this cracked the keyway of the holder and ruined dead axle threads. So far I’ve unbolted roller frame and wishbone and raised machine. Removed axle nut and holder. Also have the inside nut removed. I’m sure the correct way to remove this with a press is the remove sprocket and gears to press against the frame. Will it damage the bull gear hub bearing to press against the outer hub to pull axle? Maybe 30-40 tons with some heat on the taper? Closer dozer in pic had a bad intermediate gear, dead axle replacement is for tractor on blocks Thanks
Short answer is yes, there is a possibility of damaging the bearings. The technical term is Brinelling. Also it will be difficult to properly clean out the taper in the case, and the new dead shaft needs to be installed to a certain depth measured from the face of the case.
On my D6C I have a dead axle collar weeping oil. I removed the clip ring and was able to turn the collar about 1/4 turn. If a dead axle just starts leaking oil, does it mean the axle or the tapered bore is already "shot"? If I were to use the machine and periodically check the collar to make sure it is tight, is that a way to prevent the tapered bore from wallowing, or am wearing out the taper with any use of the machine?
dead axel is pane in as- to say the least, every thing is pressed and has to fit or finial will not last long.
If the threaded collar never loses its pin and clip, why does the taper loosen up?
Threads stretch when torque loaded over time. The load can also flex the dead axle inside the tapered bore even though it’s a tapered press fit. It’s a very common failure on that final design.
I've got a loose dead axle in my D6c that I need to have bored and bushed. Definitely a weak point in the design....wish they had the flanged and bolted axles like the larger tractors. If this was 40 years ago I'd make a conversion kit to put in a flanged axle.
Have you taken it apart? How do you know for sure it needs to be bushed as opposed to the taper re-set with a hyd puller? Or is it basically, if you have a leak there at all, the taper is already ruined?
When it was apart last it was marginal but the mechanic thought it would be ok. I marked the hub and dead axle and it has rotated some since.... so needs work.
[QUOTE="etd66ss, post: 909280, member: 48646" as opposed to the taper re-set with a hyd puller?[/QUOTE] The amount the dead axle projects indirectly determines the location of the outer duocone seal. Push the axle in further means the seal gets squashed more.