I recently purchased a D6C dozer Ser# 10K-6516 & am having a problem with air coming out of the rad when warm up & running. I don't think it is exhaust as it is clean & no exhaust odour can be detected, just clean air coming out. It is a fair bit of volumn. The engine is not running hot. It is likely leaking from the head gasket I am thinking but if it is not exhaust, could it be turbo air on it's way to the combustion chamber somehow leaking in. The engine is a 3306. Anyone have any experience with this?
The 3306 did not come in until 10K7953-up. That would be a D333c engine. I'd suspect either head gasket or cracks leaking compression.
Ok, thanks. If it was compression leaking into the cooling system, would it not smell of exhaust? It is a steady flow of air exiting the rad when it is warm, even when idling. Re the engine model, thanks for the correction. Do you know the displacement of the D333C engine?
I thought the 10k was the first of the 3306 and that the D333c was in the 76A?
Both engines are 4-3/4" bore x 6 " stroke for 638 ci. in. displacement. 10k7953-up is the correct s/n for engine change. Can't rely on smell alone to detect compression leaks.
Ok, thanks for that info Old Magnet. So, what is the difference between the D333C & the 3306 engine? At a glance it looks/ sounds like the same engine to me. In the 70's & 80's I ran a 977L & a D7G a lot, both with the 3306 engine, which I really thought really performed well. As you know the 977L had 195 HP. & the 7G was 200 HP. Of all equipment, I always enjoyed running the 7G (straight tilt blade) the most....lots of good memories there!
They are very similar...until you see them side by side. Obvious differences in the bolt ons, front timing gear cover and accessories, different valve covers etc. Block interchanges need careful comparison for oil gallery alignment, injection pump lubrication ports etc. To really dig it out you will need the early parts book for 10K1 to 10K7952 (w/D333c) Form #UEO70095 and Form UEGO729S for the later 10K7953 to 10K11939 for the tractor parts plus the parts book Form UEGO821S for the 3306 Vehicular Engine covering engine s/n 3N1 to 3N24132 in the later units due to the engine coverage being separate from the tractor parts.