Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D7G sold for high $

D6c10K ยท 2013-02-07 02:26

Nice looking machine, but can it really be worth that?? http://www.govliquidation.com/auction/view?auctionId=6003386&convertTo=USD

Replies24
  1. #1Garrie Denny2013-02-07 04:20

    Someone just ripped themselves off.

  2. #2.RC.2013-02-07 06:06

    Maybe, if you had a stuffed D7G you could more then $100 000 into it to get it back like new. Only thing I would say is did Cat have the new emblem out in 1988 like it has on the hour meter, or has the hour meter been replaced... If the 240 hours is genuine and is has not been submerged or anything like that I think 100 000 not an excessively high figure. What is a new D7E worth? Or a D6T?

  3. #3catman852013-02-07 10:44

    I used to work for the county down here and we bought an d7g from the. Government for 12k. Around 1000 hrs on the meter. And it was a ln honest 1000. The rails and pins had virtually no ware there was more of green paint that was cracking than wore off. That machine was like new once we got all the dry rot dealt with......... .but not worth 100k Sent from my PantechP9070 using Tapatalk 2

  4. #4ben46a2013-02-07 13:40

    Looks like a 240 hour machine that's for sure. Whether that's from new or overhaul its hard to say. Shift tower isn't worn at all, neither is the blade. Paint is still on the back of the track pads. Seems to have a new lift pump and alternator. Good shape for sure, but not 100k good shape.

  5. #5Bumpsteer2013-02-07 14:02

    At least 2 people thought so..... Ed

  6. #6Scrub Puller2013-02-07 15:54

    Yair . . . I see they are asking $203,000 for a '83 low hour one on Market Book site . . . 'asking' is different to 'getting' but, as a poster up thread asked whats the new equivalent worth? I guess any piece of equipment is worth what it can make for you . . . a 7G with 240 hours is going to make you money if you have the work. Cheers.

  7. #7250c2013-02-07 20:56

    Don't put much stock in anything GL puts out. I predict that one day they will be front page news. I grew up around sale barns and have seen most of this before.

  8. #8oldirt2013-02-07 21:47

    bingo what 250c said.. oldest trick in the book, well used by the b/j auto "auction" bunch. If you can make somebody believe others are paying it then he might be dumb enough to do it with no other bidders at all.

  9. #9John C.2013-02-07 22:01

    I've seen two dozers come out of Alaska with less than 1,000 hours that were purchased for around $50,000 and sold for over $90,000 five years ago. Those machines were Air Force units that sat in a warehouse and never got used. The rubber components were crap and the customers changed all the coolant stuff right away. Those machines were well worth the retail prices they paid back then. Then again I bid on repairing a well used Fat Allis at McCord Airbase in Washington and got the bid. Basically I had to repair all the stupid stuff someone else did, heads not torqued down, steering clutches and brakes and replace a whole lot of hydraulic hoses. I had over $7,500 in repairs on that machine and it should have gone to the scrap heap. Those guys would have given a first born for one of the Cats from Alaska. Your tax dollars at work!

  10. #10Spangles2013-02-07 22:07

    Opening Bid: $50.00 Current Bid: $101,021.00 what sort of fool bids up to that price for that kind of machine?

  11. #11Spangles2013-02-07 22:22

    :OMG Quick bucks! 20k out of that! http://www.govliquidation.com/auction/view?auctionId=6026913&cm_re=gl-scrapmetal2-carousel-_-item-5 Now that's what I call free moolah

  12. #12D6c10K2013-02-07 23:22

    Plus 10% buyers's premimum makes it $112,223.10

  13. #13Chisumtrail2013-02-08 00:51

    Look at recent past Ritchie auctions in Texas, some with 0 hours sold for over $160,000.

  14. #14tctractors2013-02-08 02:09

    I did notice the pad wear seemed extream for this amount of click's on the meter, the grousers look well worn on the corners plus the hight looks low to the new hight spec, they put in my mind about 1'500 hrs worked, a Dozer I fitted some new track groups to in September (D6R) still looks like new, this tractor only stops on Sundays working 7 till 6 on Landfill???

  15. #15ih1002013-02-08 04:50

    It isn't out of the question to see this wear at 240 hrs, Tony. I've seen similar wear on a D6 that had been working in granite in Sweden after around 300 hrs. That said, the cutting edges don't go with the grousers. So there is a bit more to this story.

  16. #16OldandWorn2013-02-08 05:12

    It's not uncommon for the military to fit new hour meters after a major refurbishing.

  17. #17OzDozer2013-02-08 06:27

    One has to be very careful when purchasing used military items. Hour meters, as well as other components, are swapped around regularly. If the military need a component urgently, they will strip it out of a near new machine that is parked up, to fix one that is on a job. Lots of military items just rust away from lack of use. I've seen loaders with low hrs with all the tyres dead flat. If they can't even pump up tyres regularly, what else has been neglected? I bought a Cat V150 (15,000 lb) U.S. Navy forklift out of Sagamihara Japan about 1999. I got it for a song ($2750) - it was partly stripped around the mast area, and parts were scattered everywhere, and quite a few were missing. Once I got in my shop, I went through it with a fine-tooth comb. I found the 4-236 Perkins was in pretty bad way by way of bore wear - but little else was wrong. I went looking for problems. I found the air intake ran through the RH cab top square-section beam and rear RH cab leg, before it went into the aircleaner. Rats had built a huge nest in the air intake in the cab top beam, and the engine had starved for air. The forklift was obviously badly neglected and had endured virtually no maintenance. When it wouldn't start any more, they parked it up and wrote it off. I went through the entire forklift with a fine tooth comb and I could find nothing much wrong with it, apart from neglect and people stripping parts from it. It cost me a few new parts, including a set of pistons/liners/rings, and I installed new bearings and ground the valves, even though they hardly needed it. I could find virtually no wear in the brake linings, and in most wearing components. I estimated the forklift had probably done less than about 500-600 hrs from new. It came up a treat with a coat of paint and a new seat, along with the engine overhaul, and it presented as a new machine. It could lift to 18' and had hydraulic tyne positioners as standard. I sold it for $40,000, it was a real money spinner for me - and the buyer still owns it, and is still ecstatic over his "excellent" buy.

  18. #18rare ss2013-02-08 07:03

    i was working for a company who brought a D10R from Japan, it did have 9500hrs on it but all it ever did was push snow at an airport all its life, the thing was like brand new, the grouzers were like new, original cutting edges and the blade skins didnt even have a mark, the machine had been painted but it was straight you could tell it didn't see any real work, they did pay for it but, they also passed up a 633D scraper with only 3500hrs (from the Middle east - West Bank lol woulda seen some action) sometimes an older model super low hour machine can be a hassle though, seals sill be hard and leak, may have some hyd issues but at the right price they can be better than newer models in some cases

  19. #19trucker12013-02-08 07:53

    After the first war in Iraq, Desert Storm? the military was sending everything that came back to a rehabilitation facility in northern Maine. It was at the closed Loring Airforce Base. I know they did a bunch of D7's, they did a news story on the facility, and they showed piles and piles of stuff that was taken off and thrown out back for scrap. I know on the dozers, they at least got all new undercarriage, said the sand ruined everything, no matter how good it looked. Most everything was taken apart, and instead of rebuilding, everything was replaced. They did a few hundred D7's Many, many, many Hummers, stripped to the frame and everything was new, engines, drivelines, etc. I used to see the lot stuff being trucked north to re-hab, the fixed stuff going south, much of which was passed on to the local National Guard units. So it is not unusual to see a machine that "looks" new, but is 25 or 30 years old. George

  20. #2083Jim2013-02-08 20:46

    If the grousers took that type of abuse in 240 hours, I would be very suspect of the drive train condition as well. Most likely the machine had the hour meter replaced. Basically, it's all about the decimal. Leave it where it is and you get the price that is would expect the government to pay for it. Move it one space to the left and you have a figure that is would expect the government to sell it for.

  21. #21Spangles2013-02-08 21:11

    Anything goes at auctions - a good place to offload scrap metal at gold prices.

  22. #22tctractors2013-02-09 02:27

    A Co' I used to do a load of work for bought a pile of D6D's and D8H's from Ashchurch REME Camp (Army) these machines all proved a problem in 1 way or another, the D6D's had Army spec parts including hydraulic and electrical components that we struggled to get parts for, the D8's though were the worst, although they looked the part the constant standing had allowed the brake drums to rust up also the transmission had a rust tide line to them with bearings falling apart after only working for a few hours, all the tractors looked very un-knackered but they cost a good few coins to sort, the amount of paint on them was untrue, I had a chunk of it (paint) hit me in the face going into my skin about 12 mm, I thought it was a frag of steel only to find it was green paint!

  23. #23Randy882013-02-17 07:49

    I've tracked serial numbers on a quite a few machines over the years that brought huge dollars, just so happens every time they sold it was for huge dollars, far more than it was worth, some can argue it was worth it, others it wasn't, the end result was the same machine sold over a four year period of time that time for huge dollars at auction each time over 9 times, I'm personally thinking it was only ever run in that four year period to load and unload the machine at each auction and was only used to bid up other machines that actually did sell, buyer beware in my opinion and don't believe everything you see or read on auction sites, if you were not there in person and actually talk to the end buyer and the one bidding against him.

  24. #24oldirt2013-02-17 11:06

    bingo what randy88 just said.